Tips on improving Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old September 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Tips on improving Quality
Joe Thompson Joe Thompson is offline September 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM

All,

Apologies for posting a video that is in no way related to wedding & events. It's the only edit i've done so far on Final Cut Studio, and the only edit I've attempted with some form of colour correction.

At time of posting this video, I wasn't aware to convert all native files from Canon 5D into an editing format, such as Pro Res 422, which i've done with the first wedding shoot, that i'm not editing.

I'm used the 3 way colour filter, and tried reducing the saturation to about half, and adjusting based on what seemed right with the lights and darks, but havn't really used the colour application that came with FCP.

Any constructive critism, and feedback, on how i could start improving the output and quality, and compression settings i should be using. Is Pro Res 422 the correct conversion setting to use firstly?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Thompson
Regular Crew
Views: 1467
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tips on improving Quality

Joe...

I must say this was put together very well IMO. You had a lot of great shots throughout your clip. It was probably a little to long for most viewers on this forum board, but will no doubt make a great keepsake.

I convert all of my files into prores... it just makes it easier to edit once I have it in FCP. I was sick of having to render everytime I dropped a filter into a clip. ProRes will fix that.

I can't give you much advice as far as color correction. I use the 3way cc in FCP all the time and don't ever touch color. most of your clips seemed to match the preceding and following ones pretty well, which IMO, is very important.

I look forward to seeing the same creativity in some of your wedding clips...

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Loved it Joe. Your inspiring me to start shooting my son around the house more.
Thanks.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Stephen, Greg,

He was a good ginny pig to practice with, and no lenses were harmed during the production :-)

Thanks for comments, & feedback .. I must be doing something right if you enjoyed.

That said, I'm not happy with quality, and look, and above clip appears to have been stretched too, which i'm not happy with.

I'm almost finished my first wedding edit, which i'll probably be too embarrased to post, as it's covered in amateur mistakes unfortunetly :-). There are a few scenes in particular i'm struggling with, and i'd say if I was proficient in colour correction techniques, I would be able to improve the look somewhat, so i'll see what tips i can pick up on here.
Joe Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Major Player

What type of look were you going for? It might be that a basic grade actually added to the story (I was not distracted by the grade). I was listening to a stillmotion podcast and it talked about how inferior quality can actually add to a story. There is a Zack Arias video that was filmed on a flip and it has like a bazillion post. The more raw look of the camera actually adds to the intimacy of the story. Might be the same thing with your clip, its a love story, and who better to tell a love story then a family that has a home video machine. If it gets to clean, then it would look impersonal because a business would have had to shoot the film. If you grade is imperfect it tricks the viewer into thinking its a intimate look at your family. Same reason when you shoot a portrait shot, cropping the head off a person gives the viewer an intimate feel. Stick the eye of the person at rules of third, and having the head cropped off is a view that only someone that has an intimate relationship with the person would ever have.

And post the video, it helps other people learn from mistakes and there might be things that you can fix that we can tip you off on.

Give the grading time, it becomes your style and will not come out over night.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery