The Jason Scott Band at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
The Jason Scott Band
Jordan Nash Jordan Nash is offline May 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM

A friend asked me to video his band's performance at the local Edmond Arts Festival. I haven't done any video projects lately, though I've done a lot of photo stuff since acquiring a couple of older Canon DSLRs.

Anyway, I was reminded of a few professionalism lessons today when I ignored them and payed the price:

The more you plan in detail ahead, the less nervous you are and the fewer things that go wrong.
Professionals have a plan either thought through, or (even better) written down before they get to the venue. Go there the day before and take pictures. Make a plan and stick with it.

Bring every piece of equipment that you think you might need, plus extras.
I'm weak on the audio side equipment-wise, and my friend the band leader said he had an audio recorder that I could use to tap the FOH audio mixer with, and he even got permission from the sound guy before I got there. He forgot to bring it, called me, and I had to turn-around, go back home, and grab my USB audio interface and laptop.

Go to the dress rehearsal if available, and be at least an hour early to the performance (earlier if needed)
I thought the event was a few minutes away, but it was closer to a half-hour drive. I was running in lazy mode anyway. The event was supposed to start at 1 PM and I left home at 12:30 after grabbing the audio interface (when I should have definitely already been there).

When I got there, I was running late, and the band was still getting set up. The sound guy (a very nice guy, very skilled and friendly, BTW) was busy on stage getting everything configured. By the time he got everything set up, he had forgotten my request for a board tap and the band jumped right into their first song. I rushed to get the cameras rolling.

Try to have the right equipment
I've been wanting a Zoom H4n for a while now, I just haven't yet purchased one. It was 94 degree Fahrenheit and sunny. My laptop screen, even under the sound canopy, was almost completely unreadable. I eventually got the sound recording program started and configured, which turned out to be useless anyway since the board tap didn't happen.

Anyways, the band was nice and grateful to have any video recorded at all. I'll post the video here as soon as I get it edited for you all to enjoy (which I why I posted the thread in this section).

Jordan Nash
Regular Crew
Views: 1674

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery