A wedding in 50 seconds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
A wedding in 50 seconds
James Strange James Strange is offline May 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM

Shot on a canon 60d + rokinon 20mm f1.4 (set at about f5.6), manual mode, edited using Adobe Camera Raw and After effects.

And the general trailer for the wedding film

Shot on Canon C100 and Canon 60d.

Last edited by James Strange; May 12th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: added 2nd video

James Strange
Major Player
Views: 1446
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: A wedding in 50 seconds

Wonderful video. The music and shot style (including the speed of your slides and pull focus) suited the wedding very well. Added to the tranquility/beauty perhaps. Felt like you were always calm and in control.

Very jealous of your C100.

Liked the company title with the mist behind.

Did you use some sort of diffusion filter to create the aura around highlights? I thought it worked very well. Gorgeous lighting through the windows at 0:17 and 0:29. A sort of dreamlike quality throughout. Some of the shots I think would have looked more ordinary without the glow.

Loved the timelapse at the end. Felt like the perfect ending.

Thought your B&W shots were tasteful, whereas, for some people, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Critique? Don't know. Really nothing to complain about. Definitely couldn't have done better myself. Two random thoughts:

-- 1:13, the slide on the walking shot -- you probably didn't have time to set up, and the moment just happened and you rolled. But I personally think that contrary motion for moving subjects (in this case, moving slider left to right while bride is walking right to left) tends to look better on sliders than parallel tracking, because with parallel it sometimes feels as if the camera's trying and failing to keep up.

-- 0:16, slide across the sign -- this is very subjective, but I think I personally (don't know about anyone else) prefer slider shots that go from nice composition A to nice composition B, or at least which go from unbalanced composition to nice composition. For instance, your makeup and dress slides at 0:17 and 0:21 finish on a balanced composition. The sign, in contrast, seems to go from balanced composition to unbalanced, which felt a touch untidy to me. Was it intentionally like this? I'm curious if the shot would work better if you simply reversed it.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Trustee

Gaaaahhhhh, why are the DJ's lights flashing during the 1st dance song?!

Great work, James.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Adrain and robert

Yeah. Band/DJ lights, I learned long ago to not sweat that sorta stuff. Sometimes they can be helpful, more often than not its just a horrible cheesy purple strobe light!

I'm always calm while shooting , but never really in control :)
( wish I could control the entire wedding!)

The aura around the highlights is created from a combination of magic bullet looks and artificial light effect in premiere.

I'm a sucker for b&w shots, always have been :) but I do try to limit them so as not to dilute their impact.
I usually mentally take note I'm shooting " that one would be a good b&w" type thing.

The shot at 1:13, you're exactly right. Caught it on the fly.

The slide shots (ending on a balanced comp vs sliding on by) - you make an interesting point. Generally. I just to vary the slider shots as much as possible.

Thanks for watching and commenting guys.

James

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery