Indian Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old June 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Indian Wedding
Note Suwanchote Note Suwanchote is offline June 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM

password = x

this isn't a trailer but i wanted to see how the footage looked on vimeo
what do you guys do for the gamma issue?

what I'm seeing on my monitor is more contrasty than what premiere cc outputted

this is from just my solo cam for now

Note Suwanchote
Regular Crew
Views: 1541
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Indian Wedding

Hi Note

I don't think I would have shot straight into the bright light on the outdoor shots at all. That sky is mighty bright so going around the other side of the wall probably would have been a better idea. I always tell my assistants to keep their backs to the sun/bright backgrounds/windows ...now and again a sun flare can be nice as a special effect but it's tough to expose correctly when trying to shoot into a heavy backlit situation and even gamma correction won't really help.

Was this on a DSLR or a small video camera?? From the shallow focus I would say a DSLR and you also need some sort of rig/stability control to iron out the wobbles on the outdoor footage ... even a monopod would be good there rather than handheld.

The indoor shoots looked pretty good to me except for one or two lost focus bits. I know a shallow DOF always looks impressive but sometimes it's worth stopping down just a bit (or getting in closer and using a wider lens) so you have enough DOF to cover the couple when they are moving. Rack focus with a tiny DOF isn't easy to achieve consistently.

I'm sure the couple will love their video

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Note

I don't think I would have shot straight into the bright light on the outdoor shots at all. That sky is mighty bright so going around the other side of the wall probably would have been a better idea. I always tell my assistants to keep their backs to the sun/bright backgrounds/windows ...now and again a sun flare can be nice as a special effect but it's tough to expose correctly when trying to shoot into a heavy backlit situation and even gamma correction won't really help.

Was this on a DSLR or a small video camera?? From the shallow focus I would say a DSLR and you also need some sort of rig/stability control to iron out the wobbles on the outdoor footage ... even a monopod would be good there rather than handheld.

The indoor shoots looked pretty good to me except for one or two lost focus bits. I know a shallow DOF always looks impressive but sometimes it's worth stopping down just a bit (or getting in closer and using a wider lens) so you have enough DOF to cover the couple when they are moving. Rack focus with a tiny DOF isn't easy to achieve consistently.

I'm sure the couple will love their video

Chris
hi chris, thank you for the comments + look.

It was shot on a bmc. It was on a tripod with very bad dolley legs hence the wobbles. Next time I will not use them.

Which outdoor shot do you mean? I did not include any outdoor shots, rather the one in the forest the couple's friend shot and a year ago and recently gave that to me.

And I agree about the DoF, it is annoying when its not in focus. I hope that the other cams did get good shots (f you underexpose on this cam then this introduces a line straight down the sensor.)
Note Suwanchote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Note

Yes I meant the little stone gazebo in the forest. It certainly didn't look like the indoor footage either.. if that was from another person then there is little you can do about it especially the wobbles and exposure but the content is still precious to them so you still need to include it ..maybe just mention to them that the beginning footage was from a third party?

The BMC produces an amazing image indeed!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Note

Yes I meant the little stone gazebo in the forest. It certainly didn't look like the indoor footage either.. if that was from another person then there is little you can do about it especially the wobbles and exposure but the content is still precious to them so you still need to include it ..maybe just mention to them that the beginning footage was from a third party?

The BMC produces an amazing image indeed!!!

Chris
once again thank you for the comments Chris!

I'll have to go ask the couple who shot that footage. When I spoke to the bride at a sit down session that was supposed to last 30 minutes, she spoke for over 40 minutes about that hilltop. I do wish I was there, and more so in Australia!
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
what I'm seeing on my monitor is more contrasty than what premiere cc outputted
You're right -- Vimeo and YouTube tend to crush blacks (and also seem to do other things -- like skin goes more red... at least that's what I think I'm seeing; your mileage might vary). I've never bothered to do anything about it before, but you've made me do a quick Google.

One suggestion in this thread is that you should output as wmv instead of h.264. Another is to colour grade differently for Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/forums/topic:46866

By the way, I'm seeing noticeable chromatic aberration on a lot of your footage. Don't know whether it's the lens or the camera.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
You're right -- Vimeo and YouTube tend to crush blacks (and also seem to do other things -- like skin goes more red... at least that's what I think I'm seeing; your mileage might vary). I've never bothered to do anything about it before, but you've made me do a quick Google.

One suggestion in this thread is that you should output as wmv instead of h.264. Another is to colour grade differently for Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/forums/topic:46866

By the way, I'm seeing noticeable chromatic aberration on a lot of your footage. Don't know whether it's the lens or the camera.
in addition, im comparing the mp4 i have on my screen vs one in premiere and there's also a shift in that

It's the lens. It's a rokinon 85mm 1.4 (used this lens the whole day) which I bought for $225.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Trustee

Well h.264 in itself darkens the shadow area. Or so I've always been told (never tested it myself).

One theory of how the Cinestyle picture profile works on DSLRs -- it raises the black point up to around 8 (?IRE) to avoid h.264 crushing the detail out of the shadows.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Well h.264 in itself darkens the shadow area. Or so I've always been told (never tested it myself).

One theory of how the Cinestyle picture profile works on DSLRs -- it raises the black point up to around 8 (?IRE) to avoid h.264 crushing the detail out of the shadows.
thats interesting

i know if i export from premiere as mpg i don't get the shift. I've tried a lot of fixes and none have worked and so for the last few months I just exported using my macbook
Note Suwanchote is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery