Laura and Brian at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Laura and Brian
Ron McKinney Ron McKinney is offline August 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Hi all, first time posting a video here. I'm hoping it will imbed here and not just be a link.

I shot a lot of wedding videos back in 2002-04 in Phoenix, but eventually moved away due to a day job promotion and didn't pick it up again. Started shooting dancing as a photographer about 5 years ago, and then started shooting weddings two years ago. When I realized I was losing clients because some wanted one studio to offer both photography and videographer, I thought that was kind of dumb. So I bought a Canon XL-H1 (used Canon XL1's back in the day) to go with my Nikon D4, and hired some good video shooters to surround myself with. This was our second wedding this year. Looking forward to comments.

Ron McKinney
Regular Crew
Views: 2160
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Laura and Brian

Hi Rob,
Well done! Its pretty apparent you have a good understanding of what you are doing. So for that reason i suspect you are more than capable of critiquing your own work. I suspect if/when people point stuff out to you, you will be nodding in agreement.
Overall, its great work, but on quite a few occasions the footage was shaky to the extent I'd say its unusable. For example, the men prior to going into the church. And the pan up the really tall building near the start. Focus jumped about a few times, which is just something you need to practice.
Most of the shots were great though. Good work!
Maybe invest in some more support equipment like tripods/monopds/steadycams.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

HI Clive,

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I was nodding. I actually use tripods/monopods/steadicam and a slider, but the issue is getting good at it, particularly the steadicam. The pan up the tall building, I used either the monopod or the tripod and that was still challenging. I'm just back into video after switching to photography, so relearning a lot of this. Focus (tracking movement, especially toward me) can also be a challenge, whether with my Nikon D4 or with my Canon XL H1. Practice, practice, practice, is what I need. Thanks again for checking this out, and commenting.
Ron McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I saw some great looking shots in there, I did miss some ambient sound, like during the bride prep where you should be able to get some fun reactions from the brides maids (like I see them laughing around 00:40, so here it would be good if you had used that live sound.)

I do agree with Clive that the footage is at a few times too shaky, for me also up to the point that it would be unusable. I actually was surprised to read that this was steadicam footage because, to be honest, I can get more stable footage with my Sony cx730 shooting handheld and that's not a sarcastic remark, but a fact.

Can I ask which type of steadicam you are using?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Glidecam HD 4000.
Ron McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Trustee

She's cute! In the opening picture, if I was the groom, I'd have both arms around her! The gal with the black dress looking at the couple kissing - that was great timing.

There were some nice shots there. The bus ride (or van?) had good lighting for a scene inside a vehicle. Editorial comment: Phoenix has a bridge??? Sorry. Couldn't help it. But the bridge shot with the other wedding party members was a nice concept. I liked that.

Speaking of Glidecam shots, I kinda agree with Noa but moving shots are a challenge, there's no doubt about that. I suspect that back in '02 to '04 using a glidecam was probably more of a new innovation and the gear was heavier. A decade later I think the bar has been raised.

One thing I'm using is a smaller light-weight camera and just leave it mounted fixed on the Glidecam. At least until I get more time under my belt.

In my case, I'm using the 2000 Pro with the arm support, but even so, it becomes a real load after awhile. With a heavier camera it is much worse. The other thing I've noticed is that with the heavier load it is harder for me to get it balanced. Using my better (and heavier) camera with a quick release plate and the JuicedLink pre puts the center of gravity up higher which in turn means that more weights are required and of course I try to minimize weight, consequently, my balance job isn't as nice as with the small camera, and the shots aren't that smooth, either. At the moment it's a trade-off.

So, my preference for now is to use a dedicated camera on the Glidecam, that way I don't have to worry about balance because it is good to go.

One thing I'm wondering is, with a glidecam shot does the video viewer concentrate or fixate more on the visual information than the audio? And if so, does the viewer look at what is going on in the scene more than the quality of the shoot, or the lighting and composition? For myself, in general, I tend to look more at the scene and kinda "discount" some of the other technical aspects.

Heck, look at the TV series called something like The Great Race (or whatever they called it. You know the one, where teams of couples raced around the world. Since I don't remember the name you know I didn't watch it much!), it's full of lousy technical shots but it was watched a lot. So, hey, how much does content trump?

Edit: Almost forgot. I was at a wedding last week at the Nanaimo Yacht Club somewhat by accident. I was downstairs using their WiFi and there was all this noise (music) and floor stomping (dancing) upstairs. After quite a while of this, when I was through getting my emails and checking my favorite web sites I went upstairs to see what it was all about. Oh, and there were a couple cute gals that came downstairs to get some more ice because they were out upstairs. Anyway, I went up to check what was going on (just in case my significant other is reading this, the two cute gals had nothing to do with it) . The tables were nicely decorated, everybody was dressed nicely, the disco lights were going, the dance floor was full, and the DJ music was loud. Wound up talking to the father of the bride at the bar. During the conversation I asked him which one was the bride? He said: "The one with the white dress."

Talk about a "duh?" moment!

They were having a lot of fun. Which I could have stayed but with my scruffy jeans and sailing shirt I would have felt out of place. My wife still kids me about the reply by the bride's father. Gezze, doesn't a guy get any slack?
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery