Epic Wedding Ceremony Battle viral video (1,000,000+ views on Youtube) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Epic Wedding Ceremony Battle viral video (1,000,000+ views on Youtube)
Eric Coughlin Eric Coughlin is offline December 9th, 2013, 12:37 AM

I was one of the camera operators for this wedding video video featuring knights, ninjas, Iron Man, Batman, and more which has gone viral, getting over a million views in the past few days. If you type "wedding" into a Youtube search it currently comes up as the second result. It's been featured on TV news stations, and news articles such as this one (This Wedding Is The Stuff Video Games Are Made Of (Literally)) by the Huffington Post. In the video I'm at the front left operating a C100 and 60D.

We had seven cameras for this shoot, with a large variety, using a C100, GH2, 6D, 5D Mark II, 60D, t3i, and t2i.

Eric Coughlin
Regular Crew
Views: 2447
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Epic Wedding Ceremony Battle viral video (1,000,000+ views on Youtube)

Is this the final cut?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's the cut that went on Youtube. I didn't edit it. But yes, this would probably be the final cut of the battle/abridged ceremony portion. I'm sure the client was given the rest of the ceremony (processional, vows, etc.), and obviously preps and reception too, with probably a highlight.
Eric Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Some guys never grow up and that's a good thing :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Cringed at certain parts, but I guess attending this wedding would of been a laugh! Good stuff.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Major Player

there were a few places there that the stunt guys could have landed on the equipment or indeed the operators!!

great choreography - must have taken a good bit of practise to get it right and such a tight performing area.

might have been more suitable for the after dinner entertainment ;-)

looked great tho!
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Major Player

I saw that with my wife recently. She cringed at the 'over the top' nature of the wedding...while I tried to figure out how I would capture it. Overall, I think you did a good job given the crazy nature of the event. I think the biggest weakness was with the audio, which would have been a challenge regardless. Can you share how your team handled the audio?
Congrats on the viral video BTW. That kind of advertising is priceless.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The priest was laved with a Sony PCM-M10 with a Countryman B6 lav, the groom with a Zoom H1 with a lav, a Roland R-05 was put at the back of the aisle on the floor, and a Zoom H4n at the front of the aisle on the floor. We plugged a Tascam DR-40 into the audio board to capture the handheld mic. And of course there were on camera-mics. I'm not sure what was used when in the final edit aside from guessing by viewing it.

We did have a third lav available which I could have plugged into the Roland R-05, so I wanted to double lav the groom but it proved impractical given the armor he was wearing. Then I considered laving a random person who had a speaking role, but decided since there were so many speaking roles to use the Roland on the floor at the back since we knew some of the speaking would be done from there.

Ideally everyone with a speaking role would be lav miced, but we didn't have enough lav mics to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Congrats on the viral video BTW. That kind of advertising is priceless.
This was a video shoot I did freelance for Fairy Tale Productions. I doubt I personally will get any advertising from it, aside from if the company gets more freelance shoots for me as a result, but it was fun to be a part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
Is this the final cut?
It's the cut that went on Youtube. I didn't edit it. But yes, this would probably be the final cut of the battle/abridged ceremony portion. I'm sure the client was given the rest of the ceremony (processional, vows, etc.), and obviously preps and reception too, with probably a highlight.
Apparently there were two cuts, the original given to the client which was a rush edit since the client wanted it quickly, and a version revised by the client which is what ended up on Youtube. I'm told the original version was cleaner, as in, less cameramen in the shots, less or no zooming during a shot, and probably no whip pans, or other bad camera movement. I'm not sure why the client changed the edit; I'm guessing they went more for angles with content they wanted over cleanliness of the shot.

Last edited by Eric Coughlin; December 9th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Eric Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Major Player

thatīs crazy. a lot more fun than a normal wedding mind!
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery