Non-wedding 1dc footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 15th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Non-wedding 1dc footage
Adrian Tan Adrian Tan is offline April 15th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Just thought I'd post this, for a couple of reasons. It's one of the few 1dc films I've seen online; it was shot in a minimalist way (handheld; 50mm lens); and it's gorgeous! I think so anyway. Makes me want to take out a bank loan to get my hands on this camera, though the Sony a7s seems like by far the smarter option (better ISO, higher frame rates, way cheaper).

Some people complain that 1080p60 on this camera looks like upscaled 720; but on Vimeo, at any rate, it looks great to me.

The shots also give me some inspiration for covering the photoshoots at weddings, which is something I continually struggle with.

Random thought: will 4K actually take off? If people view most of their content online, and see it at 720p in Vimeo or in standard definition on YouTube, and in both cases in tiny windows they haven't bothered to maximise, or else on tablets or iPhones whose resolution doesn't even go up to 1080, and if internet speeds often struggle with 1080 let alone 4K, should we really be rushing to upgrade?

Anyway, here's the vid:

Adrian Tan
Trustee
Views: 2006
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Non-wedding 1dc footage

4k only seems beneficial at this time to crop it in a 1080p project and reframe if necessary, it does seem to provide a sharper 1080p image (just looking at the various sony ax100 samples that are out there which are almost like looking through a window kind of sharp, even downsampled to 1080p). In most other case 4k will only make your current workflow more difficult.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Major Player

... That video was incredible... can't say that it's because of the 1DC though... I bet this would have looked amazing on any camera... the filmmaker seems incredibly talented and the song choice was perfect...

What makes this different to footage viewed on other similarly well-made cameras?

Not a criticism, as I can see that the imagery is stunning! I'm just a novice trying to learn why this camera would have been able to capture this footage better than others! :)
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Honestly, I can't see what is so special about that video, half the time it's out of focus and the framing is off, probably because he didn't take the smaller aspect ratio into consideration while shooting , I think what is appealing about it is the look he gets out of that camera, maybe some profile has been used or he did colorcorrect it.

Also, he didn't shoot handheld but used a glidecam 4000.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery