DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My first 5 minute trailer in a while (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/525618-my-first-5-minute-trailer-while.html)

Robert Benda November 4th, 2014 04:06 PM

My first 5 minute trailer in a while

I usually stick to full length and 15 minute films, but this one lent itself to a very nice 5 minute trailer for the couple - I only promised them the full length.

As always, I'm annoyed at some of my mistakes, though this was shot solo, 3 camera, and they only asked for simple coverage. I took the opportunity to see if I could shoot a 3 camera wedding solo.

I got the speeches and dance footage since I was their MC/DJ

Noa Put November 4th, 2014 05:13 PM

Re: My first 5 minute trailer in a while

I think it looked great, I only found that the ceremony footage had some quite noticeable colour differences between the different camera's.

Robert Benda November 4th, 2014 06:00 PM

Thanks, Noa.

That is the result of a lens choice. A classic lens from the 60s or 70s that I used because I liked the color, while stupidly ignoring what problems that would cause.

Adrian Tan November 4th, 2014 06:34 PM

Hey Robert,

A couple of things I found inspirational, because of how different they are to what I normally do:

-- shot from the back of the aisle during processional was epic. Love that shallow depth of field and the way you've composed it with audience in foreground.
-- shot from high up later on in the video
-- shot variety during the ceremony generally (I think I need to move my cameras around more)
-- wide angle but shallow depth of field, during bridal waltz particularly. I guess I found it striking because it isn't a look I normally use at all (my videos tend to be close and shallow, or wide and deep).
-- I've always liked the way you use sound.

Main noticeable issues are colour matching between cameras and some camera shake.

Thanks for posting!

Robert Benda November 4th, 2014 07:05 PM

Thank you, Adrian. Wow, really glad to hear you two reacting this way. Maybe I'm finally on to something. To be fair, this edit is based on a Joe Simon video.. naturally, can't hold a candle to his work, but I saw his short edit and immediately thought it was amazing how he fit so much into 4 or 5 minutes.

*ugh* yes, the camera shake. We have two Canon 70Ds, and the live autofocus is awesome IF you have the correct lenses. Shortly after this I figured out that 2 of our 4 STM lenses were not, in fact STM. They were USM versions of the exact same lenses and the only way to tell, other than that awful shudder/shake is to take the front cap off and there, and only there, will the lens description have STM. (we use the Canon 55-250mm f/5.6 for our up front cameras).

For shot variety, we use 5 camera positions, when possible. I like balcony shots for entrance/exit mostly, but here, a long Catholic wedding, during Communion works, too.

Camera #1 from the rear aisle stays put.
Camera #2 up front on the bride's side stays put. Great for the groom's face, B&G in their chairs, family faces, etc. I was usually at this camera
Camera #3 starts at the head of the aisle. I crouch as best I can, get the entire processional, then retreat once the bride enters. This camera ends up on the opposite side, up front, with a view of the bride's face during vows, and the readers and singers. I moved this one upstairs.

I really feel like I'm starting to figure out what I'm about, and my last two weddings I've really been happier. Still a fair number of easily correctable mistakes, but getting there.

Audio: finally switched back to a wireless mic on the priest/pastor. And since I was the MC/DJ, no worries about good sound off the mixer or some punter who screams on the mic :)