My first 5 minute trailer in a while at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old November 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #1
My first 5 minute trailer in a while
Robert Benda Robert Benda is offline November 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM

I usually stick to full length and 15 minute films, but this one lent itself to a very nice 5 minute trailer for the couple - I only promised them the full length.

As always, I'm annoyed at some of my mistakes, though this was shot solo, 3 camera, and they only asked for simple coverage. I took the opportunity to see if I could shoot a 3 camera wedding solo.

I got the speeches and dance footage since I was their MC/DJ

Robert Benda
Trustee
Views: 3791
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: My first 5 minute trailer in a while

I think it looked great, I only found that the ceremony footage had some quite noticeable colour differences between the different camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Noa.

That is the result of a lens choice. A classic lens from the 60s or 70s that I used because I liked the color, while stupidly ignoring what problems that would cause.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Robert,

A couple of things I found inspirational, because of how different they are to what I normally do:

-- shot from the back of the aisle during processional was epic. Love that shallow depth of field and the way you've composed it with audience in foreground.
-- shot from high up later on in the video
-- shot variety during the ceremony generally (I think I need to move my cameras around more)
-- wide angle but shallow depth of field, during bridal waltz particularly. I guess I found it striking because it isn't a look I normally use at all (my videos tend to be close and shallow, or wide and deep).
-- I've always liked the way you use sound.

Main noticeable issues are colour matching between cameras and some camera shake.

Thanks for posting!
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Thank you, Adrian. Wow, really glad to hear you two reacting this way. Maybe I'm finally on to something. To be fair, this edit is based on a Joe Simon video.. naturally, can't hold a candle to his work, but I saw his short edit and immediately thought it was amazing how he fit so much into 4 or 5 minutes.

*ugh* yes, the camera shake. We have two Canon 70Ds, and the live autofocus is awesome IF you have the correct lenses. Shortly after this I figured out that 2 of our 4 STM lenses were not, in fact STM. They were USM versions of the exact same lenses and the only way to tell, other than that awful shudder/shake is to take the front cap off and there, and only there, will the lens description have STM. (we use the Canon 55-250mm f/5.6 for our up front cameras).

For shot variety, we use 5 camera positions, when possible. I like balcony shots for entrance/exit mostly, but here, a long Catholic wedding, during Communion works, too.

Camera #1 from the rear aisle stays put.
Camera #2 up front on the bride's side stays put. Great for the groom's face, B&G in their chairs, family faces, etc. I was usually at this camera
Camera #3 starts at the head of the aisle. I crouch as best I can, get the entire processional, then retreat once the bride enters. This camera ends up on the opposite side, up front, with a view of the bride's face during vows, and the readers and singers. I moved this one upstairs.

I really feel like I'm starting to figure out what I'm about, and my last two weddings I've really been happier. Still a fair number of easily correctable mistakes, but getting there.

Audio: finally switched back to a wireless mic on the priest/pastor. And since I was the MC/DJ, no worries about good sound off the mixer or some punter who screams on the mic :)
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery