Visual effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Visual effects
Adrian Tan Adrian Tan is offline December 29th, 2014, 12:15 PM

I stumbled on this company, Graphicmenia, recently, and was amazed. Never seen anything quite like it. The style is in many ways the opposite of mine, and not to my personal taste. But I can still appreciate the imagination, skill, knowledge and time that must have gone into the work. This guy is an After Effects ninja, whereas I struggle to do titles that aren't just white text on black backgrounds.

Adrian Tan
Trustee
Views: 3979
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Visual effects

Hi Adrian

There was actually a "slideshow" software package that I played with about 12 years ago that did all that for you but I cannot remember the name of it. It had "packs" that added to the program with all the cheesy effects already done for you and had quite a few wedding based themes. If you watch the first video and get thru all the cheesy effects the actual wedding footage is a let down really and it is just plain simple footage! I have an idea it was considered the way to do weddings in the 80's when flying text and effects were the in thing.

I did an Indian reception a few years ago and the couple got married in India and the videographer put in more effects than footage!! Start titles ran for 3 or 4 minutes and even the cake cutting had red hearts floating down over the actual footage so it still may be popular in some cultures

It is however considered a bit of an overkill for today's wedding films. Hmmmm maybe it's making a comeback ??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #3
New Boot

" maybe it's making a comeback ?? "

Let's hope not!

Effects are great....occasionally. I even use them to fancy-up some of my titles. But the low-end pre-packaged effects, transitions, and overlays are usually over-the-top for event videos and overdone. Spend your time in careful editing and color-correction and your videos will be more tasteful and timeless than the examples shown here.

Jim
Colorburst Video
Jim Arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hmmmm maybe it's making a comeback ??
We did not hear you say that. :)

My dad loved these special transitions, already when he was using his Macro system Casablanca solitaire you could buy these transition effects as expensive add-ons, I clearly remember flying in hearts and champagne glasses in all of his wedding videos, there are probably brides today that saw their parents video thinking nothing has changed the past 20 to 30 years and are delighted to find someone that still does those cheesy effects. I personally find them horrible, you almost can make a bet on it when you see such skilled animation the video and audio are not even close to that same level.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Don't forget how you could rain Cows during the Toaster days. Or was it raining sheep? Dim memories of the Commodore Amiga days. Sigh.

Sorry, but I managed to combine a flashback with a senior moment.
Old January 29th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Noa

Definitely not over here but editors and brides over in India still insist on having plastic hearts floating over the screen while the couple cut the cake. Their into titles are anything up to 2 minutes long..yes, that's 120 seconds!!

Ah, you are making me show my age now...the Casablanca system ....I think they were the very first "computerised" edit system and yes, very expensive in those days too!!

I used to break up my weddings with a short 5 second white on black title to give the viewer's brain a rest but brides started to complain so the only title is a still frame right at the start with the couple's names and date and that's it!! It was quite fun however beefing up your crappy VHS video quality with flying fonts and fancy transitions.

I doubt whether graphics will make a comeback but who knows, someone might come up with a novel way to start off wedding films that will have brides scrambling to get them??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery