My first attempt at a film. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:22 AM  
My first attempt at a film.
Kyle Root Kyle Root is offline September 11th, 2015, 09:22 AM

I was able to find some audio so I tried my hand at making a film.

Very challenging. I have so many areas to improve on! But I think the client will like it. She actually wanted highlights which is just a 3 minute music video for me. Hopefully this is better.

It was a struggle keeping it interesting. Kind of "meh" as it goes on. The original was almost 12 min but I trimmed out 2 min worth of clips at the reception to keep it short.

Kyle Root
Major Player
Views: 7331
Old September 13th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: My first attempt at a film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Reading Roger and Chris' dissection of your video Kyle, I was expecting something quite different. 10 minutes of dof, slider shots, jib shots, aerial shots - style over substance. I'm not sure what they were watching, but I saw plenty of shots of the Bride, Groom and Guests.
Please read my post again Steve as you are obviously confusing it with someone else's comments or misinterpreting it.

Kyle, I'm glad you understood my comments and I understand your worries over possibly missing things. As I said before, with the exception of my dislike of some of the shallow DOF, it was a well put together and pacey video.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Please read my post again Steve as you are obviously confusing it with someone else's comments or misinterpreting it.
I admit to grouping it with Chris' who was perhaps more critical, so many points were more towards him than you, so feel free to ignore those not pertinent to yourself. However I disagreed with your DOF opinion regarding the Ceremony entrance, whilst your statement of disliking DOF in Wedding Videos then pointed to one sequence with the Brides father where really it wasn't the main issue and more the lack of a 2nd camera angle (unused in this case), the father hidden in shadows and choice of focal point. All of which Kyle has explained the reasons for. I personally found the DOF quite restrained in the video when compared to some I've seen.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #18
Inner Circle

You have too many unexperienced people working for you, just get one skilled operator who you pay more then what you have paid your 3 helpers together and you end up with a higher end product. When I hear you say that one shooter could not get the dads face into focus and another shooter couldn't keep a critical shot steady from the groom's face during the ceremony then I"m sure you have to rethink your shooters choice.

I agree with what has been said here about having other shooters in the frame, it's something that should be avoided if possible or just taken out in the edit, like the part where they eat the cake, you do have a very nice shot and then another shot follows where a videographer walks through the frame, why leave that one in?

The film starts with some very nice shots during the bride prep but starting from groom prep there is a camera included that is very noisy, my guess is that this is a 7D? I had to edit footage from such a camera recently and it was similarly noisy, even in good light.

Apart from that first look with the dad shot I don't find the shallow dof is an issue, on the contrary, it enhances most shots if applied right, it gives you a way to lead the viewers eye but then ofcourse the focus need to be spot on, with the dad there should have been a focuspull to the dad, or if the other shooter knew how to operate a camera you could have had a great shot of that moment, it went wrong here because one shooter thought the other had the dad in focus so he didn't bother focusing on the dad, that is what you get when working with inexperienced shooters. You need to be able to rely on eachother.

I also find there is substance enough to work with here, especially the part where she talks about how he proposed so that is not the problem, your other shooters are.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #19
Trustee

Some great comments but be yourself who cares..
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #20
Major Player

I appreciate all the comments and it gives me a lot to think about as I move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The film starts with some very nice shots during the bride prep but starting from groom prep there is a camera included that is very noisy, my guess is that this is a 7D? I had to edit footage from such a camera recently and it was similarly noisy, even in good light.
Oddly, that is a Sony a7s.

I think all the shots I used were D750 (I had 3 on that day) and 1 a7s.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Just t be clear about which shots I found very noisy, it was at 04:13 (first shot at that person at the grooms house) 06:34 and 07:03 the camera that had a close up of the bride and from 10:15 starting at the bouquet toss. Even my gh4 doesn't display that kind of noise, are you sure those shots came from a a7s?
Old September 15th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #22
Major Player

All those except the bouquet toss were the Sony a7s.

The bouquet toss was D750 at ISO 12,800 or there abouts.
Old September 15th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #23
Inner Circle

The shot at 10:26, was that also the a7s? Do you know why the bride close up at the ceremony was so noisy, I thought the a7s only started to get noisy at very high isos?
Old September 16th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #24
Major Player

Not really following the topic, but at 10:26 Noa, it doesn't look like it's overly shallow. I'd say noise is pushed up rather high because the shooter is keeping a narrow aperture.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #25
Inner Circle

The close up of the bride also has a deeper dof but I didn't expect that a a7s would be so noisy, especially because the other nikon's used at the ceremony are less noisy.
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Kyle,

I prefer editing these 10-15 minute wedding films as it gives me more flexibility to really tell the story. It also gives you the opportunity to try different approaches. Its a good learning tool and once you master it you will find editing short highlights very limiting. Also, you necessarily don't have to make it chronological. Depending on your vision, you can try using time-shifting techniques. Here's a sample if it helps to understand what I'm talking about. Cheers!

Old December 31st, 2015, 03:42 PM   #27
Trustee

Kyle, Thanks to Kren’s recent post I came across your thread. I enjoyed reading your posts and all the comments as there were a lot of good ideas even though I don’t do weddings. Okay, did one quite a while back for one of my sisters using a TLR but that’s been it. Nevertheless, there are some good comments that can be applied to other situations. For me, for example, Robert’s early #2 post about workflow (put footage in order then edit to the music with shot changes on the beat) was a good one. Might have been doing a bit of this subconsciously but now it won’t be (provided I remember).

As for one comment from me, it’s at the cake cutting 9:18 and shortly after where the bride and groom take a sip from their wine glasses then right after the groom goes to take another sip while the bride looks kinda expectant, like a kiss or? This reminds me of one video I saw where the groom took a video of his bride on the second floor balcony then panned down to his (now their) car below! Yes, true story.

Don’t know what the wedding videographers have to say but this is a somewhat memorable moment so what does one do? Talk to the potential groom in advance about this moment and hint that what he does will leave a lasting impression in the video?

With the venue spread out I can sure see where it can get a bit stressful. Being an engineer and as such, typically detail oriented, maybe a good opportunity for a flow chart or CPM diagram? Besides the wedding couple, I can sure see why the venue would appreciate it and hopefully they’ll help steer some potential clients your direction. And thanks for posting.

John, PE
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery