Best iRiver to get? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #31
New Boot

Where do you purchase the giant squid mic?

Can anyone tell me where to purchase the giant squid mic? Also, is there a particular "kind" to get for using with the iriver? I need it for wedding ceremonies. Thanks!
Bobbi Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
I have 3 iRiver 795s and an 800 series that I use and haven't had a problem. Just make sure you don't turn off the power before recording has stopped. Also, make sure recording has stopped and not only paused.
I hate to sound ignorant on this, but how do you know when the recording has stopped & it is safe to turn it off? Thanks.
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi Urban View Post
Can anyone tell me where to purchase the giant squid mic? Also, is there a particular "kind" to get for using with the iriver? I need it for wedding ceremonies. Thanks!
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Bryant View Post
I hate to sound ignorant on this, but how do you know when the recording has stopped & it is safe to turn it off? Thanks.
You push the record button to start, and push it again when you want to stop. You'll see it indicate something like "scanning music file" (I forget exactly), then it's stopped.
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #35
New Boot

Mono sound vs. stereo?

With the iriver and using the mono sound giant squid mic, how does that work in post-production with mono sound? Do you need to somehow split it into 2 channels for stereo sound so it doesn't sound off compared to the rest of the footage? Audio stuff is a little beyond my knowledge at this point.
Bobbi Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Bryant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
You push the record button to start, and push it again when you want to stop. You'll see it indicate something like "scanning music file" (I forget exactly), then it's stopped.
Basically, it won't say "Recording" anywhere on the screen and should look pretty much the same as when first turning the device on.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
With the iriver and using the mono sound giant squid mic, how does that work in post-production with mono sound? Do you need to somehow split it into 2 channels for stereo sound so it doesn't sound off compared to the rest of the footage? Audio stuff is a little beyond my knowledge at this point.
When you use a mono audio source in FCP, it sends the audio to both channels so you don't have to duplicate the channel for left and right. Recording in mono allows you a much longer recording time and makes editing easier. If you were to record in stereo with the iRiver, one channel would have audio from the mic but the other channel will be silent.

However, if you plan on recording in mono, make sure to get the mono mic for iRivers from Giant Squid as the iRivers don't use the standard channel for recording mono (don't ask me why). If you use a standard mic in mono mode, you may pull all your hair out when you find out you recorded hours of silence(!)

Also, for easier editing in FCP, convert the mp3 file that you get from the iRiver into an aif file so that you don't waste time rendering the audio. This is easily done in Quicktime Pro or iTunes.

Hope that sheds some light on audio for you, Bobbi.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Most times you can clone the audio, or if you're mixing 5.1, this track usually will go in the center speaker, and doesn't necessarily need to be "stereo" - center spkr is typically dialog. You'd only need to move the source around (either side to side for stereo, or within the soudspace for 5.1) if you needed it for some effect.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Looks like a great unit. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to have a hold/lock switch, which could be a problem if you want to put it in someone's pocket. We'll have to wait and see what the verdict is.

Really looks great, though. Very useful.
To lock the record button, you simply push the record button for a least 5 seconds. To stop the recording, reverse the process....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Zoom H2 release next week. I've been waiting all summer for it.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1916

I'm glad to see more and more wedding videographers are going wired. Interference is just a pain.

Did you buy it, review review review? :}
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I recently got a iRiver 890 series and finally used it this past saturday. I use a Mac to edit and I'm having trouble getting the audio onto my Mac. I got the iRiver refurbished and without accessaries. I do have the T10 with all its accessaries. I use that USB to hook up to my computer. Apparently the iRiver was made to use with a PC. I have a PC laptop but it wants me to install the software which is for the T10. I think there's a problem.

Does anyone know how I can get the audio from my iRiver and put it on my Mac?
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #42
Trustee

Sean, someone already asked that question in this thread. I posted this link:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support...nager-mac.aspx

I don't have a mac, so can't give you more hints, but check it out.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Sean, someone already asked that question in this thread. I posted this link:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support...nager-mac.aspx

I don't have a mac, so can't give you more hints, but check it out.
thanks a lot, you guys are always on point!
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #44
Regular Crew

What about Mac users

As far as I can work out all irivers are not Mac compatible.
Does anyone know of a Mac friendly alternative.
Andrew Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #45
Inner Circle

What about the two posts above yours ? Have you tried that with IRivers ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques