Slide show verses video... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Slide show verses video...

I shot a wedding at in the beginning of August and have asked the couple to send me any stills they have so I can choose one/some to use on the DVD and case cover.

They misunderstood and instead sent me the slide show put together by the official photographer - the first such I've seen.

While the photos on the whole were pretty good - some excellent ones - the slide show is not a patch on the video. Didn't come anywhere close.

Interesting to compare the two.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

yeah dude, its called "the photographers easy way to make a grand and put video out of business..."

the app your prolly looking at is called ProShow Gold.. which is a cookie cutter application for slideshows.. it works, its fast, its effective, its fancy, and it offers pretty much all people need. Its not Combustion though...

It also prompts many photogs to push the "you dont need video" mentality to clients who are on the fence about this kinda thing.. in turn, because the photog is the first one they see, many people follow their advice.. which in our markets (AUS and NZ) is much more common

Ive had a very similar thing happen to me recently, the photog even went so far as to tell me that they advised the client against a "courtship" slideshow (I call them growing u slidshows as there are 3 parts to them) as well as video in general as he also does "slideshows"

I told him our shows were "different" and let the presentation play in HD glory...
however once they saw our composited 3d slideshows with animated water, timelapsed skies, parallaxed layers etc etc these photogs usualy dont say much..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Over here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I shot a wedding at in the beginning of August and have asked the couple to send me any stills they have so I can choose one/some to use on the DVD and case cover.

They misunderstood and instead sent me the slide show put together by the official photographer - the first such I've seen.

While the photos on the whole were pretty good - some excellent ones - the slide show is not a patch on the video. Didn't come anywhere close.

Interesting to compare the two.
Over here it is hard to get people to know the difference between a movie and the DJ's slideshow using powerpoint and some background audio. It is unfortunate that it takes an in person showing for them to see the difference.

But the good thing is that when they see my Memory Movie and hear that it goes on the DVD and plays in any DVD player ... they just can't look at the old slide shows the same way.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Trustee

I can't see how anyone with half a brain would not pick the difference between the slide show I referred to and my video. There is simply no comparison.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Trustee

That's the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I can't see how anyone with half a brain would not pick the difference between the slide show I referred to and my video. There is simply no comparison.
The 1/2 brain part I mean. But seriously, it is a perception issue mixed with an education issue. I never use the term "Slide show" because people automatically think powerpoint.

I call it a Movie because it goes in the DVD player just like a movie. If we say it frequently enough, eventually people will start saying it too and it might even stick.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques