What to do for Reception with no dancing??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What to do for Reception with no dancing???

We are booked for a wedding in January and the reception is at the church (baptist) which does not allow for dancing. Typically we fill alot of the "fun" and "slow" parts of the reception with dancing. My gut feeling is that we will do interviews of the guest(which we never do) to extend parts of the video, but all in all it will be shortend due to the lack of activity.

What are some ideas that you might have to extend the length of the video without it being too boring? They are having the typical cutting of the cake, garder/bouqet toss, no alcohol, i believe there is dinner (sounds like a great party to me so far) and once again....no dancing
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Get lots of setup shots of the dinner (though I never shoot people eating) and maybe people at the buffet if it is attractive. Make a good presentation of the location. If the kids go outside and play, get some of their craziness as it will be the only action besides the events. Then, don't worry about it being short. Don't pad a video with boring stuff.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Don't pad a video with boring stuff.
Absolutely right. They chose this type of wedding reception because of their beliefs and wishes. I'm sure they don't expect you to transform it into something else.

Something will be happening. Not dancing, perhaps, but something. Look for the details. Kids playing, people enjoying each other's company, whatever. You'll be fine.

Sure, do some testimonials if you want. Could be useful.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Major Player

I just did an Indian/Christian wedding 2 weeks ago that had no dancing. First time ever for me. I just went around with the camera and made sure to film people, decor, and more of the bride and groom. Because of the no dancing, I was able to spend more time on cool shots, than the chicken dance......
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Also consider shots of the B&G as they mingle with their guests...
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Is the chicken dance that you guys refer to related to the Philipino dance done between bride and groom where the groom is supposed to seduce the bride with his strutting?

Sorry for going off-topic, but that dance (though uncommon) is a must for the video.

You might want to look into Phil Bloom's videos. He is good at making interesting video out of things other than events, not that his events are boring. He does a very cinematic establishing montage and some cute interviews which seem to work well with that style. Perhaps this wedding will be more of this sort of tempo instead of the usual inebriated dancing.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #7
New Boot

What, no dancing?

I just finished a wedding that did not have dancing. During the slow times I interviewed the wedding party and families(apprx 12 people), caught the decorating of the car, all the usual suspects. My daughter took pictures and we put a slide show at the end of the video which worked well as an extender also!
George Mentzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques