Honeymoon Videos? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Honeymoon Videos?

I've been toying with the idea of offering an add-on package where I provide the B&G with a small, consumer videocamera and some tapes and let them film things on their honeymoon (within reason, of course!). I would then take the footage and edit it down for a "honeymoon" DVD to compliment their wedding DVD.

A deposit would be required to fully cover the cost of the camera in case the couple damages it, loses it or has it stolen, and a contract would be signed indicating that the camera was in perfect working condition at the time they took possession of the camera.

I was wondering if anyone else on here did videos like this, and do you have any suggestions or comments on how successful the package has been?
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ive thought about that too but decided that I would offer a honeymoon photo montage as well. I think I have better control of how it comes out that way. I would like to hear from anyone else who has done it though.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I toyed with the idea once, but didn't do if for five reasons:

1. Sand
2. Water
3. Tape Heads
4. Unexpected sex footage
5. Offended clients if I challenged them on 1-4

If they outright broke the camera it would be bad, but what they might to that could eventually brake the camera would leave me uncomfortable and/or unprotected. In addition, that camera is a backup for filming the next week.

If, on the other hand, they provided the tapes, cool beans.
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I suppose it's true that they could "mishandle" the camera in a number of ways that wouldn't show up right away. Either that or if the camera came back broken they could claim they did nothing wrong and it just stopped working. That would leave me in an awkward position.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like a cool idea for an inexpensive camera. How about that new $150 high-def Aiptek? Awesome.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Or those $20 "disposable" dv cams?
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Major Player

done it with their cam...

I've done a couple of them...both couples had their own cams, though (lots of couples I know have a digital camcorder and almost all have a digital still camera)...did montages with both video and stills to music that they heard on their honeymoons. CC'd and cleaned up the stills and footage and both couples were very happy with the results. Toughest part was working with the shaky, all over the place video...lots of work to make it look good. Used deshaker a lot.
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Maybe you could lend them a glidecam and have training classes! lol
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey I could use an extra Glidecam if you're loaning them. ;o)
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #10
Major Player

"Maybe you could lend them a glidecam and have training classes! lol"
Hey Adam, if they'd take me with them on their honeymoon I'd be glad to give those lessons...
At the time I did the honeymoon vids, I had been including as part of my best package, either a love story or a honeymoon montage...after doing them, and realizing how much time was involved, they are now extras.
My business is still at the stage where I haven't quite found that happy point where my prices and the amount of time I put into my packages meet...
I saw one wedding vid business on the web (forgot who) that was bragging that they put 14 hours into editing each wedding! Hell, if I could get mine under 60 I'd be happy...
BTW, I love my glidecam and footage from it is usually what my client's love the most. Only been using it for a couple of years but it's second nature to me now, and I have Glen Elliott to thank for the inspiration to get it...
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I agree. My glidecam is the best piece of equipment I have.
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Major Player

Adam, a quick question. On your wedding highlights 1, how did you do that reflection in the pond of them coming together below with them together on the shore? Did you use a mask or create an inverted relection like effect from the 2nd clip in AE? I liked it a lot.
Thanks.
Vin
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The reflection was real. I simply placed the clip over itself and did a horizontal wipe (with a feather) at about where the shoreline is (so one clip is on the top half and the other is on the bottom half). Then I slid one clip to "time shift" it and voila! I saw a similar shot a long time ago from another videographer and that's where the idea came from. It was several weddings before I was able to get a good setting to try it but it was worth it.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques