Do you ask brides whether they want progressive or interlaced? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Do you ask brides whether they want progressive or interlaced?

One thing I'm not sure of is whether to ask brides if they prefer the "film look" or the "video look", or whether I should decide myself whether to use progressive or interlaced video for their wedding. If you have the capability to do both, how do you handle this?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

tooooooo many choices and people can not make up their mind. Most will not know the diference and you might have to do both just to show them the difference. tooo much time and trouble. do what you do best and they will love it. just make it happen.

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not in the wedding video business, but in any case where I'm proposing an idea to a client, I like to show them what I mean. If I were you, I'd have her watch some clips detailing the choice you're proposing to her that way she'll have a better idea of what to expect the final result to be.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

When brides hire professionals, they trust that professional to do what they do best. IMO, asking about interlacing is one step shy of having the bride sit in on the edit session and decide how to edit. Do what you think is best and brides will hire you based on your talent and expect you to make those decisions.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hoggatt View Post
When brides hire professionals, they trust that professional to do what they do best. IMO, asking about interlacing is one step shy of having the bride sit in on the edit session and decide how to edit. Do what you think is best and brides will hire you based on your talent and expect you to make those decisions.
The thing is, my demo stuff is all interlaced -- I just got the ability to shoot progressive video... so my worry is they may be expecting the "video look" (or, rather, don't realize it now but may later???)
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Sheesh, I have couples that dont even know what HD is, I would never ask them a question like that.

Remember, we are in the business to know this stuff, assume they know nothing, give them the absolute best you can, regardless, and that way you can use them as a reference.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
If you have the capability to do both, how do you handle this?
I approach it the same way I do everything in regards to what I provide - I do what I prefer. Its really the only way to not keep second guessing yourself. Create what you enjoy creating and watching and you'll attract people that think the same way. That applies to large scale decisions about style as well as small decisions like interlaced vs. blended fields.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Major Player

I'll throw in with the many other voices that have already said that most couples won't know or won't really care. Those that do will certainly make a point to let you know what they want. Or, if they know that much about it already they'll have selected you because they can tell from your demo's how it will look. The longer I am in this business the more I realize that the emotional impact of the video far outweighs any of the technical aspects that were necessary to get it there. You need to know what those technical things do to the video, but in the end the couple really doesn't care HOW you make it look great, just that you do.
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Trustee

Client Choice = client confusion

Quote:
One thing I'm not sure of is whether to ask brides if they prefer the "film look" or the "video look", or whether I should decide myself whether to use progressive or interlaced video for their wedding. If you have the capability to do both, how do you handle this?
I decided that the best thing to do is just say you control the artistic and technical aspects. I'll put in my contract that the have seen examples of my work and accept my control & direction of the product.

I'll be using that pine in my next client (3 weeks to go!) but I have not used it before.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Major Player

Whatever you prefer simple as that.

I cant wait to stop shooting interlaced but that wont happen until i buy a new camera
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
If you have the capability to do both, how do you handle this?
I would never ask my clients because they won't understand, most of them never heared of HD, some of them don't even know the difference between widescreen or regular 4:3. That's why I won't bother explaining them the difference between interlaced and progressive.
Just do whatever you think is best
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

As someone already pointed out - thats too technical a question for your average bride or groom for that matter.

Personally I shoot Progressive - its all I can on the HD110, except for b-roll which happens to be interlaced, but then I de-interlace in post to match the main stuff,

Progressive looks so much more pleasant than interlaced, almost film like. Do you ask if they want 4:3 or 16:9?

I dont offer choices like that because:

a) I have no choice in shooting its progressive with 16:9
b) Its much more work to convert for me
c) its one less choice for the bride/groom to make.
d) its up to me.
e) if I forget what they want i have to re-work....

Hehe as DP/Lighting/sound/camerman/chief grip/secretary/editor/graphic designer/audio engineer/pakaging I have enough to do :)

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Go progressive. They want professional, ie movie look. If they WANTED video look, then they'd just shoot with their camcorder.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
Go progressive. They want professional, ie movie look. If they WANTED video look, then they'd just shoot with their camcorder.
Can you explain what makes progressive more professional then interlaced? If the weddingcouple had a progressive cam, would it make them professionals?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
They do? ALL of them? You know this for a fact or have you polled 400k brides this year?

Ok, just so I get this right and we don't miss anything here...

Interlaced = Amateur
Progressive = Professional

That's how it goes? No middle ground, huh?

Does that mean the thousands of talented people who shoot interlaced video really suck?

[sarcasm]I can't wait to run back to the tv station tomorrow and tell everybody how amateurish we look because our video is interlaced...[/sarcasm]
Colby Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques