Von Lanken DVD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 27th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Von Lanken DVD's

good morning. I am happy to report that my 9 week old slept from 11pm to 6am without a break. I am ecstatic!

So I am working on editing my footage from the wedding the other day and have decided that i completely suck and need help. :) I usually decide that i suck at anything I do so that I can chicken out and quit before I fail. I don't want to do that this time because I reeeeeeeeeeeeally like doing event videography. I spent a year of college taking film and tv classes, animation/after effects classes and the like so that I would have some clue what i was doing before i began. But they don't have wedding video classes. And i want to be good at this so I am looking at the von lanken training dvd's for help. Problem - i am broke. I stay home with my kids, and my husband is a police officer. (that should sum it up for you - extremely underpaid!) So, if i "splurge" on a training dvd, it can really only be one and it must be good. this is where i need your recommendations. Who has used which one and why do you like it best? or are there any other training resources you recommend?
Cara Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Moving Camera Techniques. Hands down the bible on camera movement, framing, DOF, and manual settings, etc. Awesome disk.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

u might want to ask a dvinfo regular, Patrick Moreau, if he is still bringing out training DVDs from his company :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Still Motion

We've been getting a lot of questions about them lately but we aren't ready to put them out quite yet. Still deciding on what exactly to include and the best way to present it all.

I've never purchased training DVDs myself, but I would say that it is very important to keep in mind the styles you like and how you want to shoot, and make sure whatever DVD your looking at will cater to that style. I believe, and I definitely could be wrong, that the Moving camera Techniques DVD shows how to do handheld and shouldermount camera techniques, among others. Those styles aren't for everybody, so I would keep those things in mind, especially when your looking at only being able to budget one.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Cara -
Don't give up just yet <wink>. What stage of the editing is giving you fits? If you just need to figure out what to put on the final DVD, there's a thread here with various approaches. As far as the actual edit, get the tapes downloaded and synchronized (ceremony) as a first step, look through all the footage you've got, and sort of start to envision where you're going with the video. You're telling a story, so you don't necessarily need every shot of every minute of what happened...

Think of movies you've bought or rented, and how they are set up (main feature, chapter menus, outtakes, bloopers, commentaries, other extras.

My typical template is for the opening menu a long form complete ceremony (usually only 15-20 minutes), and I've been adding a highlights short lately, since I see lots of that being done, and it's a nice quick overview of the events of the day.

Then on a second menu page, I'll put the toasts, the garter and bouquet toss, well wishers, perhaps some goofy dancing, etc, etc.

I guess that give you some mixing ideas, mix them up with your own "take" on it!

You probably don't suck at this any more than any of us did the first time out <wink>, and we've survived, you'll be fine!!

If you have specific questions, dig around the threads here, and if there's not already an answer, there's lots of helpful thoughtful folks, and we "work" cheap!

FWIW, I still cringe sometimes at my raw footage, just silly mistakes or "missed takes" - you'll be surprised at how far some creative mixing can go to make a great final result!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Cara,

I have the Von Lankens Dvds and have gone to their workshop as well. They have a dvd for camera techniques as well as a new dvd on editing a wedding. They are a great couple and share the knowledge they have learned to help other videographers. The dvds have been a big help for me and easy to understand. If money is tight right now, watch the videos that are posted here. Read the threads and post questions. The talent and help here is just amazing. I am new myself with just under 2 years shooting and editing. Don't give up just yet and just maybe try to learn 1 new technique from here. If I can answer any questions for please let me know.

Kent
Kent Mitomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I actually have no problem editing. I think it's probably what I am best at. Particularly once i have a song to cut to. I am one of those that envisions a music video in my head every time i hear a song. My problem right now is with my footage. The pre-ceremony stuff is good and i'm proud of several of the creative shots i did. I am OH SO disappointed in the ceremony footage as it was pretty much by candlelight and so so dark. so as i sit editing, i think of everything i could have done differently under the circumstances. I figure at least i'll know the next time.
Cara Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Cara,

I think all of us here have been in that situation.....not happy with part of the footage and thinking why didnt i do this...and what if....

One thing to bear in mind....although you think the quality is bad, the customer may not. Remember that you are criticle of your work as you understand framing and lighting etc.

You are going to have to put it together anyway, so just piece it together as if the quality was perfect, you will be suprised.

And as you say, next time will be different (and the next time, and the time after that)....
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Trustee

Dark ceremony

Consider turning it all into black & white and boosting the brightness / contrast. That may help make it look better. Then play with colorizing it may be so the flowers show up colored, etc.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Starr View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I actually have no problem editing. I think it's probably what I am best at. Particularly once i have a song to cut to. I am one of those that envisions a music video in my head every time i hear a song. My problem right now is with my footage. The pre-ceremony stuff is good and i'm proud of several of the creative shots i did. I am OH SO disappointed in the ceremony footage as it was pretty much by candlelight and so so dark. so as i sit editing, i think of everything i could have done differently under the circumstances. I figure at least i'll know the next time.
It is impossible do anything good under those condition. I hate to even look at footage that looks dark or grainy, but that is the nature of the beast.

I saw at NAB in the FCS2 seminar footage of a Superbowl Commercial that was under exposed as well. What they did was to duplicate the clip and put one on top of the other and used the composite mode to make it look better. It looked better but not good.

You can't see what wasn't there to start with.

I did tried that last week and it improved the look of my clips.

It may help your footage as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques