I need some ideas for a church comercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1
New Boot

I need some ideas for a church comercial

ok so i need to make a 30sec. comercial for my church. I would really like it to be fun to watch but im kinde of coming up short on ideas.

I have 2 dvx100b's, a glide cam, 2 senhiser wireless mics. and adobe production premium cs3 suit. so you guys have any ideas.

it just needs to advertise our church in general.
Ryan Huddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:50 AM   #2
New Boot

i was thinking that 24 style shooting and editing would be awsome i just need to figure out how to tie it in to advertising out churth.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Major Player

What I would do is first ask the Pastor what he invisions the commercial looking like. Or what the purpose of the commercial is. From there draw up a storyboard and the imagination can start flowing fairly quickly. What are somethings he or the committee would like to see?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

3 questions to ask of the person in charge of this project.

1) what's the message

2) who's the audience

3) what's the delivery method (I.E....TV, cable TV, mailouts etc)

Once you know this then you can think about ideas for the job and how to produce them.

I ask these questions of every client (other than weddings of course) andit really helps get me going in the right direction for them.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Ryan, here is a commercial of sorts albeit for internal use to advertise to the general congregation, but it may spark an idea for you.

I agree with Don though too, those are key questions to ask yourself an others for every project you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QszDOr8G0k4
Travis Binkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM   #6
New Boot

ok so my dads the pastor and its a church that runs about 200. il really be incharge of the project. dad really dosnt care what we do with it as long as its creative and stands out. we are not a big fan of the tipical church comercials.

the target audiance is: people who dont atend a church. were not trying to get people from other churches.

it will air on cable tv

the mesage is anything that could make people more intrested in checking out our church. its not about a special event or anything.

here is an idea i came up with and would like your input.

we make a 30 second teaser edited, and shot very "24" stlye. we come up with a story line like the pastor cant find his disk that he saved his sermon on to print out before service. all the acting would be 24ish. at the end of the comercial you tell them to check out your website for the full episode.

once there at the website it plays a full 3-5min episode with a more traditional comercial added on to the end with the pastor welcoming you to come to church and the service times. hopefully once there at the website they will look around and see what our church is all about.

do you think i should do a 30sec. trailer for the comercial or show a 30sec. opening sceen that will set the story up.

thanks for all the replys.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Major Player

I just delivered one for a small church that's just introducing itself to our regional cable audience:

http://www.renaissancevideo.com/webv...ercial2007.htm

They wanted to show that they have unique services, and are looking to attract a larger base. 30 seconds goes by pretty quickly...
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Trustee

script ideas....

For reaching the un-churched, you should to consider the current tone of the church. In otherwords, if a few rough looking guys showed up in biking leathers, would that cause a stir (with only 200 people, most likely yes).

Is the church "kid friendly" with day care during the service for harried parents? Does the church span many age groups? etc etc

Once you answer these questions, then put some one from each group that represents our church into the video doing something. May be have the people say the words associated with their demographic.... ie

[narrator / pastor] Our church welcomes...
[cut]
[parents sitting on couch with kids on knees]: Families with little kids
[cut]
[high school kids playing frisbee / sitting around socializing]: Highschool
[cut]
etc
etc

If there area bunch of guys that like cars there, then show them talking about something (anything) while standing next to a car hood up.

Show people being "authentic" as opposed to being "churchy"

you get the point. I hope that helps get some creative juices flowing. I'd love to help toss ideas back & forth, so fee free to message / email me.

Last edited by Jason Robinson; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: more info.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM   #9
New Boot

its funny you said biker because im a biker myself. we are verry open to anybody and every body. when my dad took the church there were only like 40 members and the extra 160 are people that havnt grown up in church. so we are fortunate that not a hole lot of our congrigation thinks they know what church should be like. we are verry laid back and open to any one. any one that walke through our doors gets respect and kindness.

im really wanting to reach people that are not really even looking for a church because they have that theory that they will be looked down apon or shuned because they are not a christinan. thats why we really dont want a traditional marketing campaign because we believe that as a whole traditional church is failing to reach people.
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I get very uncomfortable with the whole concept of trying to market religious ideas as if they were soapflakes.
Old October 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Huddleston View Post
... we believe that as a whole traditional church is failing to reach people.
I'm not sure the 'non-traditional church is doing any better.

Most churches - of all sorts - at least in NZ - seem to me to be in a ghetto without walls, with their own culture and lingo...and dumb down/gut the message hoping to appeal to those outside the ghetto...

I've got into video in the last 18 months not for it to be used for in-house ghetto use within 'church' or to sell 'church', but to argue the Biblical worldview against all comers in the market place of ideas...content is everything, but I want it packaged well...

Wedding videoing has been providing me projects which allowing me to 'learn the trade' so this can be done...hopefully.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #12
New Boot

I would not put us in the same catagorie that your taliking about. we never back dow or dumb down what we believe and we dont speak our own lingo. i believe that any one that comes in our church would feel right at home. i can say this because two years ago our building burnt down. so we built another one. for two years we have had tons of difrent consturction crews come in and quite a few of them have came to church because they said this place just feels frindley. so like i said i dont just want to put another church comercial. i want to catch peoples eye and have them just come and check out our website and see what we are all about.
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Whatever you end up doing, Ryan, just make sure you don't have any copyright issues respecting music.

There is nothing worse than a church not walking the talk.

Curt
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Trustee

Biker Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Huddleston View Post
its funny you said biker because im a biker myself.
I also mention that because my dad is a CMA Biker and he teaches Sunday School in his leathers and occasionally gets odd looks (also because he is a skinny software developer and doesn't look like a biker).

In any case, my main point is to consider using the members of the church to talk about the church.

Baring that, I do like your creative idea of using a "24-esque" approach. You need some problematic situation, a bunch of people involved to do the PiP thing with. And you flip back and forth until the pastor bursts in and solves the problem. Make the problem something plausible so it doesn't get too cheesy.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
3 questions to ask of the person in charge of this project.

1) what's the message

2) who's the audience

3) what's the delivery method (I.E....TV, cable TV, mailouts etc)

Once you know this then you can think about ideas for the job and how to produce them.

I ask these questions of every client (other than weddings of course) andit really helps get me going in the right direction for them.

Don
In addition to Don's points, another very important question is PURPOSE. After watching the 30 sec. commercial, what do you want the viewer to do? Join the church? Contribute money? Have a better understanding of the tenents of the church? Stop discriminating against members of the church?

You get the idea.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques