What do you do with your wedding video files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Trustee

What do you do with your wedding video files?

Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Trustee

What do you mean? The final DVD? We keep a copy as a backup master in case the client has a problem in future, but that's about it.

For weddings that may need a future upgrade to high def DVD, we keep a high def master on tape.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Trustee

Sorry for not being specific enough.

You film a wedding accumulating a raft of files in the process, and add more during editing.

Then you produce the files for the DVD - and then cut the DVD.

All the files that lead to the DVD occupy vast amounts of HD space.

What do you do with them? Delete them?

Are there any you save?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I assume you are talking about your raw video, music, pics etc.

I know some people who have a HD for each project and keep that. I don't do that.

As mentioned, I always keep a copy of the DVD. I'm using Final Cut. I keep all the raw footage. Once the final DVD is confirmed, I back up the pics, music and project file to disc. I "blow up" the project. If for some reason I need to recreate the project later for re editing, I can use FC's Capture Project to re cap all the raw footage, re connect the other media (music, pics etc) and re render everything. This doesn't happen much. Project done is project done.

Keeping a copy of the DVD or keeping a disc image of same gives me the option to make a new copy if need be. I always hang onto the raw footage; I won't re use them anyway so they make for a good way to backup

I suppose if you have Blu Ray/HD DVD ability you back up everything to disk, including the footage
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Trustee

I just keep 2 master DVDs for backup and delete the rest. If its REALLY important (my personal staff) I keep the DV tapes as well.

Stelios
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Trustee

So far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
So far I have been burning to DVD all the raw footage, audio, pictures, etc. It chews up a LOT of HD space so when I can safely burn 22GB to disc and free up the space, then I'm going to do it.

Unfortunately I am right at the point where I need to be cutting a good demo reel. I've got 8 weddings under my belt and I need to have something to show new clients instead of hauling out the finished products and chapter skipping around. But having all the individual raw video isn't possible so I'll probably have to cherry pick the clips I need for the demo reel from all the archives.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques