Something New we've introduced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Something New we've introduced

We've been underway with our first season offering video coverage for cheer and dance competitions where in the past we have only offered photography.

Something we have now incorporated into the whole scenario is the ability to display the videos of individual performances within about 5 minutes after the performance on our on site touchscreen viewing stations.

In a nutshell: we are shooting with a 2 cam (XL2) setup both synced and shooting tethered to laptops. With this setup we have eleminated the tape and the capture issues that really speed post production up.

Next our server that is with us at these events, the same server that sends photo data to our touchscreens polls each of the laptops every 1 minute to see if a new video exists (video file). If the server sees a new video file exists
from camera1 laptop it moves the video (not copies) to the server then begins the process of making a converted copy to a windows media format version, the whole time not altering the original. It then polls camera 2 and movies its video file to the server to the appropriate folder location. Now we have camera 1 and camera 2 videos on the server in an accessable location for post production (DVD Sales)

After the process has completed we run a simple script that generates a playlist (windows media used in html page functions) so when customers go to view ther performance video we are able to play about a 15 second intro video (rendered prior to the competition) then the performance video then a small closing video. To the customer it all plays as if it were an edited version with all 3 clips right from the touchscreen.

This has really helped in increasing sales, customers are really amazed to see their performance video so soon afterwards, it has also helped us by saving TONS of hours afterwards in the elemination of having to capture then sort hours upon hours of multi cam footage.
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That's pretty impressive.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Major Player

It's great to hear the experiences of others who do event work such as this. I just got back from Phoenix where I was shooting two days of an ice skating competition. We have a similar setup in terms of capture, where my cam is tethered to a PC running OnLocation and then we run Gigabit back to our editing machine at the sales table. This allows the videos to be edited quickly for sale, but I really like the display setup you have. We have six laptops that we use for displaying the photos, but currently we don't have a way for people to preview the videos.

I think it would definitely help sales if people could watch it. People always ask if they can see a preview, but we haven't had a way to do that. Thanks for posting your experience as this will be most helpful in discussing this possibility with the guy I contract with. It's his company, I just get contracted to shoot the video, but I don't think it would be much more difficult to display the video and it would help sales. Thanks again Martin. This is why I love coming here.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Wow

I will echo the others when I say that is a incredibly impressive service. I assume you are using gigabit in order to transfer all those video files.

In any case, that is a pretty dang amazing infrastructure. Hopefully you are reaping the financial rewards for that innovation.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Believe it or not we are only running a 10/100 network and our files that transfer initially are between 400 - 500 megs each and pretty much travel across within a minute or maybe just a touch more.

As far as what the customer sees on the touchscreens the windows media version is between 5-7 megs in size and pops up instantly for their review.

I could imaging that if more cameras were involved it would be more likely that the 10/100 would just be to slow to accomidate more than is transferring at the moment.
Martin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques