Top 5 internationally? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Top 5 internationally?

I'm pretty new to wedding industry, and actually a photographer by trade however I am getting into video. I am always looking for inspiration.

I'm curious to know who you would rate the top 5 (In no particular order) leaders in the industry right now re: wedding videography?

Thanks so much for your time.

John.
John Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Still Motion

You may want to clarify the criteria your looking at. Are you wondering who produces really innovative and visually attractive work, what about emotional depth, or the complete other end with financial or business success? While there is often some overlap, I think you will find that those at the top of any criteria may not necessarily be at the top of another.

EventDV magazine does an annual top 25 most influential videographers internationally which is voted on by their readers. I believe you can find that list on their website.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #3
New Boot

I'd like to know who the favorites are, it doesn't matter to me why you like them.. I just want to know who's work you enjoy the most.
John Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Trustee

My 2 favs are
Jeff & Andee Wright blueskiescinema.com
David Robin davidrobinfilms.com
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Major Player

From what I've personally seen, i'd say:

1. Patrick Moreau
2. Jason Magbanua
3. Glen Elliott

but that's not to say there isn't other stuff i've really admired, it's just that these guys consistently deliver beautiful work, have natural creative abilities and really know their studio equipment inside out.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #6
Major Player

I haven't got a clue about Internationally. Purely on this forum, I'd got for the exact same as Richards list and include him also. Added to that would be Ethan Cooper who posted a real eye-candy clip here recently.

All of these guys have very kindly shared clips that in different ways and directions have set the bar much higher.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Bue Skies Cinema amazing people.......
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Major Player

I dont' know how to quantify an "industry leader" but as far as innovation goes:

(In no particular order)

Jason Magbanua
Glen Elliott
Chris Watson
Andrew Hsu

These 4 have styles that are as different as night and day. I could pick out their work in a heartbeat and watch their stuff all day long.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I agree with Patrick that it can be subjective as to who is the "best", but for the most part it should be about a gut feeling that you get when you watch the work. If someone is an amazing videographer but is just getting started, then logic says that business (and monetary) success will follow. I think the only good barometer is the uniqueness, creativity and overall quality of their work.
Bruce Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post
I agree with Patrick that it can be subjective as to who is the "best", but for the most part it should be about a gut feeling that you get when you watch the work.
Very true. At the same time, that gut feeling is going to be affected by your personal style and your own biases. I love long tracking shots and lots of movement in my work as well as an almost surreal color palette- it surely isn't for everybody- but I would have more of a reaction to others that use a similiar stye.

To me, the top videographers should be based on those who are constantly innovating and pushing the industry forward.

I think it would be hard to put alist together that doesn't have Bruce on it somewhere. Jason is always a favorite. Glen, although I haven't seen much recent stuff, would be on there, and I really love Chris Watson's consistently innovative editing styles. I think Mark and Trisha would round out my list more so for what they do for the industry as a whole.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
I think Mark and Trisha would round out my list more so for what they do for the industry as a whole.
If one of the criteria would be measuring financial success in a small market they'd certainly get my vote.

That's a flip side that's often missed. Remove the fiscal responsibilites from this business and anyone can create a masterpiece given enough time to do it. (I'd need more than most of course)
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
Remove the fiscal responsibilites from this business and anyone can create a masterpiece given enough time to do it.
I couldn't disagree more and although your comment was likely meant to be light-hearted I think it really speaks to the problem with event videography - that "anyone" can create a masterpiece. Just like any specialty I would have to whole-heartedly disagree that given the same pile of tapes and 3 years of uninterrupted time that everyone would come up with a masterpiece. Sorry to be so harsh/blunt, but it just irks me to hear that.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Major Player

I agree...I don't think anyone can create what we see on this forum. Certainly just about anyone can edit given a certain skill set. You really stand out when you are able to compose the shot and push the limits of creativity. Many of the names already mentioned have not only the technical ability but the God given talent to know what to look for and how to use it and where to use it. This is the part that you are not always able to teach.
John
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post
I think it really speaks to the problem with event videography - that "anyone" can create a masterpiece.
Why is this a problem? These people don't last long anyway.

At the risk of "irking" you further I believe the inverse. That a lot of people in this business think you MUST create a WEVA award winner in order to be successful. And there's quite a few award recipients out there that do this part time because they still need day jobs. It all depends on what your definition of "success" might be. Purely subjective.

And I still maintain that if you put a monkey in front of an NLE he's bound to hit it given enough time and the right footage. (And no bills to pay).
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Rick and Patrick for putting me on your short lists. That means alot. Off the top of my head, my top 5 (in no particular order) would be....

Bruce Patterson: His work is just dripping with elegance and style. Very sophisticated work.

Loi Bahn: He's been pretty quiet for a few years but his work has made a huge influence on the current path I'm on and love him or hate him, his style is singular.

Jason Magbanua: The man just continues to improve year in and year out. Just when I thought I've seen the best he can do, he ups his game again and again.

Glen Elliot: His work was rocking in the SD world. Can't imagine what his future HD productions are going to look like.

Elysium Productions: If there was a glaring omission from last year's top 25 list, this would be the studio. Nobody, as far as I know, has balanced volume and art as well as Alex and Julie Hill. They are one of the best studios in the world.

Other names I would throw out there:

Maurice O' Carroll, Dan Boswell, Josh Smith, Kristen* from Bliss Productions, Don Pham, Mark and Trisha Von Lanken, the list goes on and on......

Chris W
Watson Videography
www.dallasweddingfilms.com
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques