I hope bride's mom has a sense of humor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 1st, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1
Trustee

I hope bride's mom has a sense of humor

Here's a real short clip from a wedding we're editing. The bride's mother is in the elegant gold dress.

www.yarock.com/media/groomsmom_bridesmom.wmv

Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

LOL...I hope for your sake either her or the bride asked for that
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Which biker gang do they belong to?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Trustee

The best visual was her walking down the aisle. The dress was cut so that the big tatoo on her left breast was clearly visible. I guess she was going for the subtle trailer park look.
I'm not too worried about their reaction. I told the bride over the phone, and she said "f*** that bitch...leave it in".
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

lol... well if it were me, I'd be using B-roll to cover that up... but you know the family batter than me. :)
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I leave all that stuff in, if they wanted boring they should have just gone with pictures. Oh, did I say that?

Hey Bruce, btw, what stabilizer did you use, and what light kit.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
she said "f*** that bitch...leave it in".
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
She said that about her own mother? Oh boy, nice family...
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Erm.....funny and all that but how can you show something like this if you get paid to do a professional job?

It's like the Police and FBI coming on and releasing mugshots of who they have arrested this week.

It is one thing to relate funny stories or experiences about your profession but to actually publically show and have ridicule a client?
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've watched the clip twice, and can't find anything wrong with it! Quite the reverse. We're paid to capture the day,that's MY belief, and that's been done. In fact I'm going to be trying some of that style myself.
You can't please eveyone, so just please yourself, and the Bride, of course,lol.

Mike.
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Yeah, one of the few times I ever asked about a specific incident was when the bride's sister ran her toungue up the brides leg, twice even. The bride thought it was a hoot and I left it in.
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Waters View Post
It is one thing to relate funny stories or experiences about your profession but to actually publically show and have ridicule a client?
Not sure I'd go as far as to compare this to gov't agency activities, but true enough -- this is a public forum viewed by thousands of people all over the world. Gov't agencies may be the least of Bruce's worries if that rough-n-tough mother and her buddies discover the link and don't share the humor in public exposure and ridicule. (Always funnier when it's someone else, eh?)

BTW, I watched it three times to make sure I wasn't missing something...all I saw was people just having fun dancing and being silly at a family wedding reception. I think I'm a pretty tame fellow and I've certainly had wilder parties than what was shown in that clip. I agree with those who shrug their shoulders and wonder what the fuss is about. But again, let's hope any of "mom's" friends who might have close relationships with deadly weapons feel similarly.

;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Color me lost as well. What did I miss?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

From here, a shrug and a "meh." No longer shoot weddings, but when I did, I've seen much worse (inebriated shaving cream fights and the like). Kind of ho-hum about this clip (sorry, Bruce).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM   #14
Trustee

Steven.
That "sister act" that you mentioned sounds interesting.
I was using a tripod on a dolly, and luckilly it was a smooth floor so that I could move around. I use a 50 watt Frezzi on camera light powered by an Anton bauer dionic 90. Most of these venues are so dark, that without the light, you'd have nothing.
Mike,
Thanks for the ote of confidence.

As far as my choice of leaving stuff like that in, here's my take- there's loads of guys doing beautifull, cinematic stuff, and I'm also trying to better my style. But for me to enjoy this grueling, underpaid work, I have to enjoy what I'm doing and have some fun. I like to talk to people from behind the camera, sometimes joking and engaging them. To me, the camera and technology isn't the be all and end all. The camera is a tool which allows me to interact with and capture people. What I shot was very typical of what went on that day. They had their fun, and now it's my turn.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM   #15
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I like it. I'd leave it in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques