two questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

two questions

1) Some event coordinators have asked me if I want to cover their weddings. What kind of commission should I give? 10 per cent is enough?

2) I looked at some on camera lights. Looks like a frezzi with the works could easily hit a grand. The salesman showed me a 10 plus 10 watt sony for 120 bucks. 20 watts. Anyone use those?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bruce

I give 10% of the ceremony & reception fee to coordinators who hooked me the client. However, I don't pay commission for anything extra the client may wish, e.g photo montage, projector etc.

I use an on-camera PAGlight C6 with a 20w bulb. It's good enough for subjects cloe to camera but dont expect to illuminate a room with 20w. Battery pack comes with shoulder strap or optional belt hook, lasts about 2hrs 15mins
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

When I pay a commission it's generally about 5 to 10% or the package. Hey it can certainly be worth it. You're going to advertise anyway so why not spend the money where it does the most good, people that are getting you work. Right?
As for an on camera light, personally I don't like the Sony, it makes the cameras even more front heavy, the light seems to be more of a spot than a flood. As for Frezzi being a $1000, hmmm, a 35W light w/ a battery and charger is about $600 iirc, and frankly you can do a Bescor battery and charger for even less. I use a Bescor battery with my Anton Bauer light and it works out just fine. Look at the options a bit closer, you'll see some savings out there.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
1) Some event coordinators have asked me if I want to cover their weddings. What kind of commission should I give? 10 per cent is enough?
I don't feel comfortable paying commissions. I figure that its the coordinators job to choose the best service provider for their client, not the one that is paying them for referrals.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
As for Frezzi being a $1000, hmmm, a 35W light w/ a battery and charger is about $600 iirc, and frankly you can do a Bescor battery and charger for even less. I use a Bescor battery with my Anton Bauer light and it works out just fine. Look at the options a bit closer, you'll see some savings out there.
Don
It was about 500 bucks for the basic package but then I started looking at accessories, barn doors, soft box, etc. The price jacked up quickly.

Actually, since I don't wanna get too far into the wedding biz, I think I'm better off just renting a Frezzi, it's only 25 bucks a day. More beer money! Yay!
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good option. As for barn doors, never use em on an on camera light. As for softbox, yes I use it all the time BUT a sheet ot ToughSpun material is a lot less expensive AND will last for very long time-don't need to use a lot for the on camera lights.
Don
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I've never had to pay commissions and the work still rolls in.
I must be doing something right...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Don,

Could you snap a pic and post, this sounds interesting.
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Vince,
It's easier just to describe it. On my Anton Light I DO use a softbox but on my BESCOR I snapped off the barndoors and took a piece of ToughSpun about 4"X4" and simply use 2 pieces of gaffers tape, one on each side, to hold it on th elight. Most of the news camerapeople I know do the same thing-gotta love gaff tape. BTW, the BESCOR light head is now a backup should something happen to my beloved AB light head.
Don
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Commissions to coordinators are not necessary in this business. There is enough work out there that you don't have to pay for...
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I provide a discount to my clients if they have a coodinator, let me qualify, a coodinator that knows what the ________ they are doing, and not aunt Mary.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Major Player

coordiantors/planners should earn from the fee that they charge, not from other suppliers.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques