Wireless Microphone set up for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 26th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Microphone set up for weddings

Where do I buy and what do I need in the way of a wireless microphone system for doing weddings? I have an XL-1 and have been told that I need a clip on wireless mike system that can connect to the XL-1. I have no ancillary equipment for my XL-1 except an extra heavy duty battery and a nice case. I have converted the microphone over to a Light Wave Systems isolated mike holder. It works very well, but obviously I need something in addition for weddings.
Looking forward to all your advice!
Tim Palmer-Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2002, 09:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

Depends on what you want to spend.

There are a number of good mic systems out there: Nady, Audio-Technica, Sampson, Sennheiser, etc.

The one I use is a Sennheiser ew112p which sells for about $450. I am very pleased and would love a second one.

The general advice is to stick to UHF units, but they cost 2-3 times as much as VHF units. If you are trying to save dollars get a Nady VHF wireless: they are probably the best buy.

I would try to buy from one of the sponsors here first. The help keep Chris's Watchdog pages open, AND, they seem to know the business.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 02:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

The reason to go to UHF is because there is less chance of interference on the less crowed waveband.

Make sure though that radio mics are legal in which ever country they might be used.
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2002, 07:27 PM   #4
Quantum Productions

I use a Sure VHF system. It's pretty good but a few churches I've been to have some of the same fequencies and it's not changeable! I couldn't use it!
I rented a UHF sysyem and it was excellent but a few thousand dollars to buy!
Old March 5th, 2002, 09:02 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Adam,

Which UHF system did you go with?
Old March 6th, 2002, 01:26 AM   #6
Quantum Productions

I think it was a Lectrosonic UHF Wireless. It cost me $100 can for the day but it sure was worth it! It was like talking into a high quality vocal mic in a studio for singing. The distance on it was quite far and static free. I rented it from a production company here in Vancouver, Canada that used them alot when they made The X-Files here and other TV shows from Vancouver. But I don't think I will ever buy one unless I win some money! ($4000 can. I think!)
Old March 6th, 2002, 04:19 AM   #7

Whew! Too pricey for me. But thanks anyway for the info.

Adam...I have an off topic question to ask you concerning an article you wrote. Don't want to mess up this thread, so could you check the XL-1 "General Topics" forum for it?
Old March 8th, 2002, 08:48 PM   #8
New Boot

I use Samson Micro 32's. They cost about $500 each. You can set your frequencies so they don't conflict.

Make sure to check the church's wireless freqs, cause a conflict during a wedding isn't something you want to happen.

Mike
Michael Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #9
BullWorks

wedding mics

The senheisser prosumer gread a preaty darn good. I use the 500 fro about $800-1000 and have had great results. you can change freqs if the is a problem with other wireless mics.
Also think about getting a mini disk recorder for about 200.00 you can use a lav mic on it and put it the grooms pocket and get consant audio for about an hr during the ceremony.
Old March 15th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #10
Machinist Mate

I use a 2-channel Azden with 2 lavalier transmitters so I can mic up 2 talents. Being VHF, it is sometimes susceptible to radio static. A few more projects like this, and I'll be looking to go UHF (lthough I do like the convenience of one receiver for 2 frequencies.)
Old March 15th, 2002, 07:36 PM   #11

Hi GG,

Which model of Azden are you using?
Old March 17th, 2002, 03:45 PM   #12
GWPGearWorx

I would like to suggest that you look at purchasing the AZDEN WMS PRO it comes with:

1 x Lavalier Lapel mic
1 x Hand held mic
2 x Transmitters
1 x Receiver
2 Interchangable channels picked up on the one cam receiver.... Flawless set up and testing :)

I payed $325 here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. However you will need to buy another Lavalier Lapel Mic but they are only $30 :) So the whole package will cost ya $355 before tax lol. GREAT quality GREAT price.

Old March 19th, 2002, 09:38 PM   #13
Major Player

I bought the Lectrosonic UHF 100 from Locationsound in North Hollywood, CA (1-800-228-4429 ask for Val) for about $1200 with the lavalier mic. Of the 256 channels I get 189 to use, ABC-tv gets the rest. Range is out of this world. I can also use my shotgun and hand mic with astonishing results connected to the transmitter. It was worth every penny. I think they've replaced the 100 with the 195 but they're almost identical in abilities.
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 11:18 AM   #14
Machinist Mate

HI John, when are you moving to Tokyo?

Here's my Azden setup.

•WR22-PRO receiver on the camera (2-channels).

•2 WM-PRO transmitters, switchable to 2 frequencies. They have lavalier mics plugged into them, or if you want you can substitute anything with a 3.5mm mini plug, be it a headband mic, guitar pickup, whatever.

•1 WX/T-PRO "can" transmitter. This attaches to the bottom of any standard metal-bodied XLR-terminated hand mic, such as a Shure SM58, or a shotgun or similar pro mic. The hand mic is good for field interviews.

•Last but not least, I have a WR2-PRO receiver. It is similar to the other receiver but has just one antenna and the output is a mono plug. I run this into the mic input of my PA mixer for sound reinforcement. It operates on the same 2 frequencies as the other receiver, and this allows each talent to wear just one microphone for both camera and sound system.

The Azdens are very user-friendly and blue-collar priced. Just sometimes I wish I had UHF radios in them, to fight the static.

As a backup, I keep an Audio-Technica Pro22W/T transmitter with lavalier and Pro22W/R receiver with my Elura, which is my "emergency" camera--like when they say "Hey Mike, we need you to shoot an announcement from the CEO right now and post it on the Intranet tonight" and my XL1 is resting comfortably in its Porta Brace on my dining room floor. :-)
Old March 20th, 2002, 06:37 PM   #15

Thanks for the detailed info, Mike.

I've been holding off on buying a "good" system since I suspect that as soon as I buy something, Samson or Sennheiser or whoever will announce that they've just released an affordable two transmitter/one receiver UHF system. Kind of like Canon announced the release of the XL1s immediately after I bought my XL1.

The one thing that's been holding me back on buying VHF has been the static/interference that everyone says is a danger with VHF...but I wonder just how often that really happens? If it's once in a blue moon...well then what the heck.

Can't understand why manufacturers haven't produced a UHF two transmitter system. What's up with that?

I've been getting by up to now with a very cheap (but I should add "very dependable") Nady wireless system. About 99% of my shooting is done in a controlled indoor environment. So, for that reason I've never experienced any interference.

<<...when are you moving to Tokyo?>>

I'm going over in about a couple of weeks to scout around for a place to live. Then I'll probably head over the next month...so sometime in May. It'll be a nice change since DV is almost unheard of here in Korea. I was carrying my camera through the subway here awhile back and one of the cameramen from a large local network came over and just about fainted when he saw my fully-rigged XL-1. I let him check it out and his eyes were glazed over...definitely hooked. The funny thing is that he's a professional cameraman but had never even heard of the XL-1. That goes to show that there's not a lot of DV support here...I'm kind of the lone DV ranger (except for Mike Bebber...where are you these days, Mike?).

So, I'm looking forward to getting together with other DVers in Tokyo. Adrian's already recommending a Tokyo DV gathering. Hope a lot of people respond.

Grab your camera and come on over!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques