Bride & groom prep question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Bride & groom prep question

For those of you that do b & g prep videos, do you include the time it takes to shoot it into your package price?

If someone hires you for a 6 hour package and also wants a b & g video, is that usually included in your 6 hour package or do you that on your own time?
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I do NOTHING on my own time. I run a business and prep takes time. They want it - they pay. Simple as that.
Yesterday was a good example. I had nothing booked for December back about 6 months ago. I booked this wedding for the first and they wanted prep-so I gave them a few dollars off because in my opinion 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing and again December was slow -I booked the job and no sooner had I done that when I booked 2 more weddings for December. YAA! Merry Xmas to me! BTW one other one wanted prep also. So I charged my normal rate (I already had made my month so) so the point is don't give it away. They will pay for it if they want it and if it's important to the and remember you are running a business. Prep is prep, just like when I do a retrospective, if they want it they pay for it it is not a part of a package, or doing a 'love story' same thing. You might give them a bit of a discount depending on your situation and the month and the year and how much you want the job etc but remember this. If they don't pay they place no value on the work or the time it took. Don't lower yourself into a hole you can't climb out of.
Harsh? Perhaps, but business is business and if you make your living at it or not it's all still business.
CHARGE 'EM Dano! (Hawaii 50 or sort of ;-0)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I totally agree Don! I think what I was trying to ask is if a bride books you for 6 hours and then also wants a prep video, is the prep video included in the 6 hour package or do you go earlier to get it done?

So if they book for 6 AND want the prep video, do you end up working 8-9 hours instead?
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ahh, OK, well hard for me to answer as I don't obook packages (with very rare exception) based on hours like that. For instance, I have a PREP and a No PREP package so starting times and total time is different but regardless they both end after 1 hour of open floor dancing and having a done a "few" weddingis over the years I have a real good handle on when things start and end so I've really never been put into a position of having to work more than I was getting paid for.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't charge based on hour packages, but more what they get in a package. These options are part of my packages, so I have built in that extra time into the overall price.

I tend to do the bride's prep before the grooms in my standard packages. If they want the groom's prep then its an extra $100, or they can just upgrade their package. It just puts on more pressure when doing both b&g prep as one cameraman needs to get to church to setup early etc. When its close by its usually fine however.

I also find that most guys don't get dressed until just before they go, so unless you tell them otherwise that they need to be getting dressed when you arrive you won't have enough time to film them properly.
Matt Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Over my side, the prep stage is a standard coverage we had to do. Without it, it makes the whole video look incomplete. I charge 1 flat rate to cover 10-12 hours.
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques