Anyone work with Lindelle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone work with Lindelle?

I was just contacted by Lindelle Studios for a wedding on the 15th. They said they work with David's Bridal to provide photography and videography for their customers. Basically, they want me to shoot for 8 hours, mail them the tapes and compensate with $350 plus travel. Now it is off season and I am buying an new home (closing right before Christmas), but I just want to make sure I am not getting scammed here.

The only question they asked me is if I have shot weddings before and what cameras/format I use to shoot... and although I have samples on my site, they didn't request anything else. If you're going to contract me out to brides, I would have thought they would need more info than that. Any info/insight is appreciate!!!

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by Dawn Brennan; December 6th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Major Player

For starters, $350 is about $350 below what I would charge for one camera for 8 hours. They may or may not be a scam. In any case, demand payment via credit card and don't ship out the original tapes until the cc card clears.
Personally, I probably wouldn't do it. But, $350 is $350 if you've got nothing else to do.
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't know about this particular studio but I do know about Davids bridal :-(
However you would be shooting for the studio as a contractor so it doesn't matter who they're shooting for.
Anyway in my area the going rate for independent contractors shooting for other studios is anywhere from 350 to 600 plus travel and parking (I mention parking because in downtown Chicago parking can run from 25 to 45 dollars-it adds up) PLUS anywhere from 4 to 6 per tape unless it's covered a package for shooting, travel and expenses and tapes. That is for whatever gear needed to shoot a wedding in it's entirety and based on a 10 hour day whether you work 8, 9 or 10 hours as most things in this industry are based.
Now, there are studios that pay more and there are individuals that demand more and get it but remember I said the AVERAGE here in CHICAGO for an event based on a 10 hour day. Of course all of this is moot since your area is different than here but as was said if things are slow...60% of something is better than 100% of nothing. If you're comfortable with the deal go for it. As for getting paid by CC, ain't gonna happen. Businesses generally don't pay contractors like that, at least not here and not in my 25 years and yes I do contract to a couple of studios. Generally you invoice the job and payment can be anywhere from a day to 30 and frankly I've found that in this industry a 30 day pay out from "corporate" clients is pretty average.
I do some work for 1 studio that pays 30 from invoice and another that pays within a couple of days so it all depends but in any case it'll probably be a check. Thats called 'business'.
Your choice as to whether to do it or not.

As for additional info what do they need to know? Have you shot weddings before and what format you shoot would be about it except maybe do you have a tripod or monopod, a wireless setup and an on camera light. Oh yeah, do you have extra batteries? Thats all they need to know. They probably didin't look at your sample because they don't care about the style. They need someone to shoot and they asked you all they want to know.
Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; December 6th, 2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add final thought
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Major Player

$350 seems a little low to me but that's just me, my dayrate is the same for weddings, freelance news, or any other event, and I charge more than $350.
But, as others have said, if you need the money and have nothing better to do, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

HOWEVER, these things always make me a little nervous. Why? Because they will almost CERTAINLY want you to give them the tapes BEFORE they pay you.....they will want you to invoice them. I have no problems doing business with local businesses this way when I do TV commercials and know the owners (I live in a small town). I even did business this way with CNN when they wanted some freelance news because...well, because I knew they were a reputable "well semi reputable anyways :-)" news organization. But doing this for a company that I don't know anything about...??? Lets just say I would be doing some research on them before I agreed. In fact, I'd look up their phone number and just cold call them and see how their receptionist was on the phone, maybe ask some questions about how long they've been in business and such. The reason behind all this? Not so much that I think everyone is out to screw me (although there are some bad businesses out there that will screw you over), BUT ONCE YOU GIVE THEM THE TAPES, THEIR MOTIVATION TO PAY YOU GOES WAY, WAY DOWN. Out the window even, they have what they want, and they will honestly forget to pay you, or just put it off, because it isn't NEARLY as important to them as it is to you. I've had to wait three months for payment, before because I took on something like this, they honestly just misplace invoices, forget about it or whatever.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Day rate definately depends on the area. In Ohio, I would laugh, if some said they want $600 for a day rate. I would say the average is usually $300-400 depending on many factors. I usually pay between $200-$400 depending on what kind of equipment and experience they bring to the table. I know of a few steadicam guys who get $500-$600 per day.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques