My website - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #16
Major Player

thanks Ian

Yes still a few more things to do, thanks for the comments
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Many of my clients find me through these wedding linksites were you got everything related to weddings grouped together, I found a few that allowed a free link to my website, their only request was to link back to them.

It has also been mentioned here before and I know it's not what you asked to be looked at but your videodemo is by far THE most important element of your site and it doens't look right. If you only change the music that would make a big difference, the music now gives me the feeling someone died. You state on your website that you have a high level of expertise but in de wedding clip at 39 seconds f.i. I saw the remains of another clip flashing for half a second? I think that looks quite sloppy from an editor point of view.

I don't want to sound harsh but you would be better off just removing the demo and posting frames of your footages instead. Just make another demo but try to take out the highlights which show more emotion, people waiting in front of a church or a car isn't very appealing. I think you would be better off starting a seperate topic and just ask what people here think about your video and ask for suggestions. Nobody likes to be critisized but you can be sure that the people on this forum all mean well and know what they are talking about.

Maybe a good suggestion would be to use wordpress as a system to manage your site, I see that you are also into wildlife and through wordpress you could share your experience in a better way. Eventhough wordpress is primarily a blog systems some users managed to create a more magazine like content managment system like: http://www.wpremix.com/home/ or http://www.darrenhoyt.com/demo/mimbo2/ which look like a normal website but have some great potential as you can use it as a video or photoblog as well. And they are very easy to maintain once it is set up and has great SEO.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
y. Eventhough wordpress is primarily a blog systems some users managed to create a more magazine like content managment system like: http://www.wpremix.com/home/ or http://www.darrenhoyt.com/demo/mimbo2/ which look like a normal website but have some great potential as you can use it as a video or photoblog as well. And they are very easy to maintain once it is set up and has great SEO.

Are these Do it Yourself web page builders?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Are these Do it Yourself web page builders?
The wordpress engine installs in 5 minutes, it only requires an sql database on your server. Then it's just a matter of choosing a theme and your good to go. So it can function out of the box.The most interesting part is that it's open source and free, you have some paid premuim themes that offer more options but that's not allways the case, there are some very well build free themes as well.

There are also tons of plugins to choose from to improve functionality, also all free. A bit of knowledge of php helps and is often required but there is a hugh user base with plenty forums that are all willing to help you out really quickly.

Another option is Joomla which is more cms based but has also al lot of possibilities to add a lot of functionality, including blogs.

I use the mimbo template which gives me a normal looking site on the front and a blog hidden a bit deeper. For me it was most important that visitors first see my products and both theme's I mention above are perfect for that.
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
The wordpress engine installs in 5 minutes,
Installs fast but neither one seem to have anything resembling an "Install" icon. Forums and help features are like a black hole, knowledge and light cannot escape.
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Forums and help features are like a black hole
Depends on what theme you install, some developers include very good tutorials but it's true wordpress does require a bit looking under the hood and a bit php knowledge if you want to make layout changes. Then again, setting up a website up is never easy, ever worked with dreamweaver? Another solution for a simple website is web page maker http://www.webpage-maker.com/ which takes wysiwyg very literally, easy as working with paint. Only in regard to functionality it's limited.
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Then again, setting up a website up is never easy, ever worked with dreamweaver? .
I opened dreamweaver once upon a time and experienced an immediate nervous breakdown. You're right, nothing intuitive about it.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
I opened dreamweaver once upon a time and experienced an immediate nervous breakdown. You're right, nothing intuitive about it.
That's what I use but only because it's what I have. Painful.
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques