extras to offer b&g at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Major Player

extras to offer b&g

Im trying to compile a list,
and then possibly pricing structure,
of services I can provide as extras after the clients recieve their DVD.

What immediately comes to mind are-

a HD Version,
highlights put up on web,
highlights for ipod,
a 20 minute version,
the raw material on disc,
prints captured from the HD footage- (clients provide counter time, i havent actually tested this quality)

ok, I think I've come to a stumbling block,
anyone any other ones?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Edit of honeymoon footage \ honeymoon photo montage
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Probably close to the ipod thought, but montage in 3gp format for mobile phones? I've done it for a few and it reallys goes down well....
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Major Player

One thing that we are going to offer is post wedding shoot. The advantage is that you can get those more creative shots that you just dont have time for on the wedding day. B&G get dressed up again and go do some fun shooting. Kind of like a 'Trash the Dress' but not trashing the dress but if they want to Great!
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

about the only things I offer as extras are love story and retrospective packages. (before and after the wedding type stuffthe retropsective is generally 2 to 6 weeks after the wedding) but I have a few where I've taped the family BBQ and the rehearsal and dinner and then the brunch the day after. Yes they pay for all that time and frankly that material is done seperately as a special bonus DVD and is not a part of the actual wedding. This because I do a 30 to 45 minute edit of the actual wedding day so I keep it to that and the other stuff is "bonus".
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks guys, as usual, for the valuable input.

Yes, Don, these before and after services are definately an area I intend to promote. The Trash the Dress & post wedding shoot, as you mentioned John, the love story and retrospective edits, including Dans honeymoon edit suggestion all lend to maximising our take from each client. After all, isn't the fundamental rule of sales one that suggests that initially getting the customer is the hardest part. Everything else requires basic selling techniques.

So, now we have

Pre Wedding Day-
Love Story

Post Wedding Day-
HD Version,
highlights put up on web,
highlights for ipod,
Highlights for phone,
a 20/40/60 etc., minute versions,
the raw material on disc,
prints captured from the HD footage- (clients provide counter time, i havent actually tested this quality)

In addition-
Honeymoon edit/montage
Trash the dress,
Post wedding shoot.
Retrospective views on the day/introspective views of the future.

Anyone else care to comment / add to this list?
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Tourist

Well, my first time to come out from passive lurking to active sharing. It just so happen that im editing an "extra" for a wedding i shot last week. Its a kind of 'thank you' 60-seconder clip given by the couple for those who graced the event. Its to be circulated online via email attachment. They didnt ask for it but it helps to ease a bit the anticipation (or maybe excite them more) for the the final DVD. Its also to assure the bride that the cameras are rolling with tape. Merry Christmas!!!
Ding Panganiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Major Player

I've come to the conclusion I'd be better off just focusing on "a few" things (and charging more) rather than carry those once-in-a-blue-moon add on's.

For example, I've only sold 3 love stories in the last 2 years. (4th one is booked). These things are a pain in the ass and require a seperate day to shoot. Photo montages are another one - I stopped advertising them. And I doubt I'd ever convince anyone around here to trash their wedding dress or buy inferior frame grabs.

In '08 I'm going just concentrate on selling additional hours of coverage versus freakish add-ons nobody buys regardless of how you market them.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Major Player

new idea or bad idea?

Thanks for that idea Ding and welcome.
Rick, you may be right. But im going to find out for myself.
Most of the stuff i intend to offer can be taken directly from my edited project anyway so it shouldn't proove too difficult.
Plus i can get someone else to do a lot of these extras as the creative work would already be done.

So what do ye think of this for an idea. This is my text:

25 Minute Edit: An additional edit of your wedding day where you get the chance to play editor. Using your master DVD choose your own shots to include/exclude in your cut. We will provide you with an EDL (Edit Decision List) . You will then provide us with counter times of in & out points for your new edit. Price 450euro.

Could it work? has anyone tried it before?
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Trustee

Anniversaries?

1 year - tell B & G to set up a dinner, invite guests.
Nearly all family still around (could film themselves if abroad and send to you - any footage better than nothing), cute kids at wedding a wee bit older etc. Potential market good.

5 year - own kids? B & G arrange get together. Most family still around. Reasonable possibilities for sales.

10 years+ - getting into the memories market. Re-edit of original wedding footage because (sorry to be hard headed) some guests are likely to have passed on. if tastefully done could be a good idea for all involved but potential for being tacky.

Just my 2 groats.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques