Direct to DIsk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Direct to DIsk

Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a tapeless recording solution and I was looking at the FireStore FS-4 and I was just wondering, is 40 gigs enough for a single wedding, or should I invest in the 80 gig?

I'll be using it as well for indy filmmaking, but at this point, wedding videography is my primary concern. What do you tapeless guys use for your weddings?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Major Player

40gb will hold just over 3hrs. Do you have a laptop? If so, you can transfer during dinner and free up space.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Unfortunately, no laptop.

3 hrs most likely wont do it. Of course, I can always use the 3 hrs (the most important 3 hrs) with the FireStore and capture the rest. It'll still save me 3 hrs of capturing time.
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Roger,

BTW: What kind of cameras are you using?

I have really stopped believing in the Firestore stuff. I have owned multiple units, including FS-3's and FS-4's. I sold them off because they were so clunky and akward. Had some firewire problems and problems with dropping frames, audio, sometimes entire clips. They really are just a pain. The customer support does not rank very high on the totem poll, and to be honest, just checking, they have not had their website up for a few days which frankly kind of scares me, especially for a company of their size. They could be revamping it, but you'd think they would at least post something up about it.

If you want to go tapeless, might I suggest the Nnovia products. They are a bit more rugged and versitile. They are also much more cost effective.

Just to give you an example:

At B&H, They sell the Focus Enhancements FS-4 Pro 100GB for $1894.95

At Nnovia's site, they sell the Model QC HD QCB120 - 120GB for $1069.00.

You can also get the QC Deck for $1449 and it has removeable hard drives. The hard drives from them are VERY reasonably priced compared to other brands.

I have nothing vested in Nnovia, but they do make a solid product. Go up to the dvinfo firestore forums and take a look at all the problems people are having. I think you'll find it's not worth it.

Just my 2 cents...
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I used FS-4HD with avi or m2t not a problem. The way I carried on location run about is OK. 40GB for a Wedding more than enough. Just Battery may need 2nd backup 180mins type for FS-4.
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Major Player

The only way I have had a problem with the firestores is when battery ran out or I accidently pulled out the firewire cable.

I agree that firestore units are to big and to heavy for run & gun. We sold most of our firestores and replaced them with ads pyro drives. All our local new stations use the firestores. Pyro DV Drives weigh 8oz and we can swap drives easily if needed. We swapped out the original with 80gb or 100gb drives.

I really like my Sony Dr60, you can monitor all the important data on the lcd screen on my v1u.

Either way, hard drive units do no replace tape, you must still run tape as a backup.

There is nothing like being able to come back from a shoot and look at everything right away.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Kit,

I'm using an XL2. I did notice the size and weight of it to be a bit big, but since the XL2 is so front heavy, it might balance the ratio out a bit. I'll do some reading on the firestore forum. I can't afford to drop frames, audio or even entire clips, even though I don't plan on going completely tapeless, like eeryone else, I'll still be recording to tape as a backup.

The Nnovia's sound great and much more bang for the buck. I'll look into those, as well as the Pyro drives Jon mentioned. Being able to swap hard drives is a definite plus for the Pyro drives.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques