Visit client or have them over to your place? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #16
Major Player

You might want to check with whoever you have your homeowners insurance with... its called personal liability protection I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this should protect guests that come to your house, and fall and break their back or whatever may happen.

They may have restrictions on it because you're running a business... you might have to purchase some kind of business rider or something on your homeowners policy to have liability protection.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #17
Major Player

I recently met with an insurance agent and he had plans offering coverage for business operations on my personal premises, because we do portrait photography here as well. I have a 3 car garage and divided off half of it as office, editing, and studio space.

That said, I actually do a lot of my contracts through email or phone, after mailing out samples -- I've had very few people come to my location, and I don't usually drive to meet them either. I do make sure to send them a letter with the samples, email them, and call them, and most people I've worked with seem very comfortable with that.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #18
Major Player

Most always we meet clients at our studio. I think clients want to see your set up. It makes for a better environment to show our work on the flat screen and to access other videos we may have done. As a matter of preference our studio is located away from our home. Personally we do this to try and seperate business life and work life. Homeowners insurance will not cover you for any liability or premises medical situations that may arise as a result of your business pursuits. Liability insurance for this type of business is fairly low and you should have it.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I learnt early on that it was a waste of time and a nightmare to visit couples.
We have never had a 'showcase home' and with kids, it was tidy at best, but never really clean. In spite of that, I managed to sell myself and my product for who I am and what I do. I think there is added security for a client dropping 3000- 5000 dollars on you if they know where you live.

meanwhile, this never worked with corporate clients and I always go to them.
This may change now that I have a 1500 sq foot office and staff, but for the most part, It's best for me to go to them.

One of my most recent clients, who sell Cultured Stone http://www.featherstonerock.com is a sample. I visited them once and I am able to do the rest of our business by e-mail. I doubt they would of given me a chance had they seen this upside down chaos of a home.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques