Mailing lists to Brides at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Mailing lists to Brides

Well, we just did a show recently, and received this list of brides with emails/phone numbers/ and addresses.

I'm not sure about using the list. I'm not a big fan of email adverts or junk in my mail. And the last time I did the snail mail list, it really didn't help much.

So I'm wondering now if it's worth the time. Has anyone out there had success with these types of lists.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't mind sending out postcards to people who have attended. I figure a lot of them will have misplaced our literature anyway and I'm more than ok with having 500 - 1000 cards going out with our name on them. Your chances can't help but improve if you can keep your name at the forefront of their minds.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #3
New Boot

We did it, but not any more

To be honnest, we did it a couple of times in the beggining. Usually B&G adresses (their parents of course) are listed in city court every month. And we did sent some mails with publicity.
I don't think it ever worked. I guess that the more you do direct publicity the more desperate you look to find a job.

We do invest some money in general publicity like wedding fairs and web directories. Other than that we prefer to make the clients come to us and not the contrary, for the above reasons.

Off course it depends on wether someone is beggining activity or have some money to buy publicity or any kind of approach you may have.

Regards,
Nelson
Nelson Gameiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, our goal would be to have them visit our website or call. The software to do a mailing list is more economical and reusable vs the good ol'e postal service. So I have some thinking to do.
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Trustee

When we do mailings it's to a list of names we receive from those who ran the bridal shows. We send out postcards as followups.

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
When we do mailings it's to a list of names we receive from those who ran the bridal shows. We send out postcards as followups.

Hey Ethan, any contacts say 'I got your card in the mail....'
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Major Player

From a marketing standpoint you have to market to the same person on average about 3 times before they start to consider your services. Generally speaking. Of course you are going to find people that just love your work and are ready to book right then. A majority of the people in our immediate market are information gatherers and then slowly migrate toward or away from videography. There is information overload at Bridal shows and even though they stopped by and talked to you, you still have to follow up with them so that there is some name recognition. You can do this without appearing desperate or pushy. We usually have the potential client sign our registry at our booth so we know that we gave them a demo. A short thank you to them for stopping by will suffice. We will then send out postcards that summarize our company and our packages. We may as a later follow up call the couple and see if they would like to visit our studio. In order to go the 3 prong approach you may have to be creative. You should contact them either by e-mail, snail mail or phone to let them know about a new package, a new service, etc. Marketing is an art and it has to be comfortable for you in how you approach it. Our position is that we want people to make a decision that they are comfortable with and to allow that to happen as naturally as possible. Because you market your services several times to a couple does not mean that you are desperate, it really takes some time for them to move from other services to yours. This is how brand recognition starts.
John
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Trustee

Great post John. That about explains everything.

We've had 3 this past year say that the card helped spark their interest again because the liked us at the show, but quickly forgot about us and our name didn't stick in their head. Post card is a gentle reminder without being pushy in my opinion. YMMW

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for the opinions, that's what I was looking for. Now on to which route to go, I kinda like the snail mail, but the email would give the instant click access. Not sure. Maybe both.

The 'pushy' is what we try to avoid at all costs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques