using glide/steadicam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

using glide/steadicam?

For those of you using this for weddings...how do you incorporate the glide/steadicam into your workflow? Do you wear the equipment all day? Surely that would be exhausting and prohibitive of some shots. Do you have a second cam operator there without the glide/steadicam getting those "other" shots? Do you only put it on when you know you need it...although that seems like it would take up too much time.

I'm looking into investing in a glidecam for my XH-A1..and possibly and Ex1 in the future for wedding productions. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated!

thanks
jeremiah
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

When covering weddings we are usually two videographers, both working handheld and tripods at different locations. Both beeing able to use a Steadicam Merlin in between.

Reason for this is that we just do steadicam for a few takes, quickly moving cam from tripod/handheld to Merlin, in matter of seconds...

It is so tempting to overdo the steadicam and just keeping it to spice up small parts of photage is key to us. Example, groom standing waiting, bride walking down the aisle, both leaving, car leaving and so on. Always with B cam capturing the same from another angle 'Just in case'.

The decission to go the Merlin route was taken based on similar questions you have. We did not want to go 'all day' with a body suite, but be 'free' to use the steadicam when needed, beeing as flexible as possible with a limited crew.

But - it is really tempting to get the Arm and vest for it. Using your own arms for more than 10 minutes make you dream of an extra arm to take the load. Even if the Merlin is easily rested on your knee, bench or other suitable 'item'.

Just my 2 cents...
Ronny Hofsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just throwing some random thinking out there.
It would be hard to use during the ceremony. You can't go following people down the isle.

Other times such as reception, you could probably use it a bit, but is the strain worth it? That is to ask, are the B&G going to pay for your extra effort?

I've bought quite a few pieces of gear for fun and later tried to justify them.
Like I have a jib, which is a great tool, but I play with it behind my house way more than I take it to a job. It's just too much work to break it down, put in the car and set up at a location unless they want to pay the extra money.
Samuel Hinterlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
New Boot

I've been using a Glidecam 2000 with my VX2000 for weddings for the past 5 years. I only use it for the ceremony recessional, and for the B&G first dance and B&G parent dances at the reception. I have a quick release shoe on it so I can switch between the monopod and the Glidecam. At the ceremony I keep it ready beside the first pew so I can get to it as I'm leaving the alter after the signing.
Andrew McWeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a merlin coming on monday and im hoping to be able to attach the HV20 to it and somehow keep it on me in a bag for when it suits to pull it out and use it. my main cam is the A1.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Ger - I've used my Merlin with both the HV20 and A1. I find the HV20 a little harder to balance for situations where you need to to a quick mount. The heavier weight on the A1 seems to make it easier to hit the mark on the mounting plate and run with minimal tweeking.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Glidecam Pro 2000 and Canon GL-2

Can someone tell me the approximate weight settings and positions for setting up a Glidecam 2000 with a Canon GL-2? Does it really stay stock still when you jerk you arm out and in and around as in the video on the Glidecam site?

Can I use a Glidecam 4000 with an GL-2 as well as an XL-2? Again, what are the approximate settings?

Once you have the thing balanced, how reliable/sticky are the settings if you want to remove the cam quickly then put it back? Do you sometimes have to tweak the balance a bit?

Last edited by Tim Palmer-Benson; February 24th, 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
Tim Palmer-Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Art,
Sorry I missed your post back then.
I have yet to shoot a job with the Merlin.
I'll take on board what you have said about balancing the A1 quicker than the hv20.
I think I might permanently leave the hv20 on it all day & fold it up with it on it and have it in the bag.
I think for me its a safe approach for the first one or two anyway.
Not to be risking tieing up my main cam at the wrong time.
Still I realise there are some parts of the day I could defianately use the A1 on the Merlin under no pressure.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a second plate for the merlin? and if so how much is it?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Ger - you can purchase direct from Tiffen for $19 however their website states a $50 minimum on orders.

http://www.steadicam.com/images/cont...nPL_102407.pdf
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer-benson View Post
Can someone tell me the approximate weight settings and positions for setting up a Glidecam 2000 with a Canon GL-2? Does it really stay stock still when you jerk you arm out and in and around as in the video on the Glidecam site?

Once you have the thing balanced, how reliable/sticky are the settings if you want to remove the cam quickly then put it back? Do you sometimes have to tweak the balance a bit?
Hi Palmer,
I have the Glidecam 2000 and a GL2. I would if I could, but there is no way to tell you the weight settings and positions for setting up. I could tell you that I use a total of 6 weights, but the setup is something you have to work with on your own.

It will generally stay very still when it is balanced, but as they show in the video, that's one of the purposes of your other fingers.

Yes, you will have to tweak the balance, but just a little. It is very precise and small changes will change the balance.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
For those of you using this for weddings...how do you incorporate the glide/steadicam into your workflow? Do you wear the equipment all day? Surely that would be exhausting and prohibitive of some shots. Do you have a second cam operator there without the glide/steadicam getting those "other" shots? Do you only put it on when you know you need it...although that seems like it would take up too much time.

I'm looking into investing in a glidecam for my XH-A1..and possibly and Ex1 in the future for wedding productions. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated!

thanks
jeremiah

We ran the steadicam at a wedding this weekend. We used it during the bridal prep, pictures pre and post, and throughout the reception. These are the areas I feel lean towards the strength of the rig. We shoot from a tripod during the ceremony and one tripod during the reception (as a safety)

As for the reception, we switched off the steadicam, since 2 hours or so was about my limit. But back to point. The steadicam did very good with the dancing, again, it's flexibility of 'being part of you' is what makes a world of difference. It was funny, we did a circle around the bride and groom for their final dance, then when the DJ announced everyone else could dance, my wife got swallowed up by the crowd. hehe.

I will say however, getting into a limo with it, was tricky at the least.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques