Weddings and xh-a1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Weddings and xh-a1

For those using the XH-A1 for weddings what preset if any are you using? And what format are most shooting with 24f 30f or 60i. I am finding that most videos are looking more film like and am wondering how it is achieved ie: still motion, and the last same day edit post on the forum. I would love to see what most are using. I am new to HDV so I have a lot to learn.

Thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bowers View Post
For those using the XH-A1 for weddings what preset if any are you using? And what format are most shooting with 24f 30f or 60i. I am finding that most videos are looking more film like and am wondering how it is achieved ie: still motion, and the last same day edit post on the forum. I would love to see what most are using. I am new to HDV so I have a lot to learn.

Thanks
I just started with the A1 myself, but I did shoot a wedding with it earlier this month. I used the PANALOOK preset (you can find it on the A1 forum), and it looked fantastic. As far a 60i, 30f or 24f is concerned, it seems like a lot of A1 wedding videographers are now using 24f.
Alan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply, are you finding that when you slow the 24f down to about 50% there is alot of motion blur or is the footage still useable. Also do you need to have an onboard light?
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Jason:
With 24f you are not going to get great slo mo. The higher the shutter speed you can shoot, it will look much better when you slow it down. At some point you will need an onboard light especially when shooting HDV.
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Major Player

I been using 3 A1 for the past year in my weddings. I would say stay away from 24f for the wedding events and with lowlight receptions. My first wedding in 24f was 3 weeks ago and the results were not good for the pans and slowmo and focus.
There is too many things going on at the same time in a wedding shoot. I try to shoot the most of the time with the AF. My opinion is that in lowlight the 24f does not help with AF shooting.
Before I always used the 30f, not bad as long you keep your slow mo at 60%.
My next wedding I will use 60i to record and I will do the convertion to 30 or 24 in post based on my need and film look.I want to compare the difference.

Any way my clients dont see the diff on 24 or 30 or 60i in the final product.
But beleive me focus problems anyone can tell.

I will keep using my 24 just for the couple interviews with the tripod and good light.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

erm.

I have the A1. I use 60i to help with slow motion using vividrgb from Steven.
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Jason - I've been using NATURALO for a preset. My first two weddings I shot at 24f and was dissapointed with the results due to blurring on panning and inability to use slow-mo. I shot my last wedding at 30F and was much happier with results. Seems to be a nice compromise between 24f and 60i.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys,
I am just switching over and unsure what would yield the best results. I am looking for the whole still motion look from Patrick. He has that very film like look and am unsure if it is all done in post or a combination of post and preset. I guess it would be easier to ask him but the replies are great.
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Still Motion

Hi Jason,

We use our A1s in 24F. Slow-motion isn't as good, but it is very useable if the slo-mo is interspersed with real-time shots. If you rely on a lot of slow-motion, I would go with the happy medium of 30P.

Shooting 24F gives you a lot of options in low light. You can get great results at 1/24th of second and can shoot in quite dim situations. If your delivering an sd product, 12 gain is very usable in my opinion.

The look we get is a balance between presets/shooting properly/post work.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Patrick,
There is a reason your name is on the top 25 list. Congratulations to you and your crew! You guys and girl have really stepped it up this last year and what an amazing job you have done. Your constant effort to answer as many questions and help everyone else reach their true potential is outstanding. Would love to know the secret to the post work though, you mentioned native filters already. Also are you using your own presets or the ones posted on the site.
Thanks again and best wishes in the new year!
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Still Motion

Thanks for the compliments Jason. It was this forum that really helped our work get to where it is so I always enjoy helping when I can.

When I mention using native filters to do my post work, I mean I am using filters that are bundled with FCP. I have come up with al of the setting I use myself, but some of the looks do come from other looks suites such as Magic Bullet. The key is using multiple filters and stacking them in the right way with the right settings. It is kind of like photoshop in which you could have many layers on one image. What those filters are exactly and the settings I use isnt something I would want to post on a public forum as I have spent years developing them, but it is surely something one could figure out in using the program and testing various things.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:17 AM   #12
Major Player

I use the Vivd setting from steve. It save's me a lot of work on the post. This camera love's a lot of light so make sure you have a good on board light. What makes this site great is people are more than willing to share and to educate. There are plenty of present here. For wedding i like the vivid and panalook.
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I use 30F and VividRGB for outdoor and Lowlight12 for indoor. The lowlight preset is bumped up in color a bit as the standard is a little flat. I also use 1/30 shutter in dim receptions along with a light.
Steve Sobodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

From my experience, i would never set the gain to +12, too much noise for my eyes... +6 is the max i will push it under low light. You can always lighten your scene in post and since it is less noise, the end result is better than the +12 gain in my opinion. Also, I sometimes used 30f if I am in a darker room or shooting something static.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks guys,
Eric can you use 24f and 30f on the same timeline? Are you shooting with an onboard light. With the 170 and vx2100 I use it is nice to not have to use a light and really be unobtrusive.

Steve
What is the lowlight12 setting? Is it in the preset section?
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques