Cell phone highlights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cell phone highlights

Just curious...what does anyone think of the idea of using a cell phone to capture events at a wedding and then using those clips in a highlight video?

Is this too "out there" for the wedding industry?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you talking about a videographer taking cell phone clips and using it? Or getting clips from guests and the wedding party to add to a video?

If we're talking about guest video, then I think it may be interesting. But if we're talking videographer cell phone clips, I admit it may be a little out there for me. But perhaps that's because I'm still relatively new to the business and need every second of the day to ensure I have enough footage from my main camera.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
What does anyone think of the idea of using a cell phone to capture events at a wedding and then using those clips in a highlight video?
It's great! We chose the Nokia 2600 for it's progressive, low-noise image. On the O'Conner 2575C it was a dream, but mounting it to the Steadicam was a little tricky due to the unit's weight. We also had some difficulty connecting it to the dual-link HD-SDI recording array, but after doing post on the footage in the Avid Adrenaline and seeing the final render, we knew it was worthwhile.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Major Player

was the image free of rolling shutter effect?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I used my motorola v550 on my kessler crane, I got some awesome shots of the bridal bouquet toss.

shouldn't this be in area 51?
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #6
New Boot

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't get it...Why would you want to use a cell phone? Wouldn't a video camera be better suited to the task?
Jared Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

haha... loving the comments.

on a serious note, this was indeed done by Jason Maganua a couple of times. Check it out:

http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/category/weddings/page/4/
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Ram.

Here are the direct links ...

a love story ...
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2007/0...fi-love-story/

a teaser ...
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2007/0...easer-trailer/

why?
because I could and I did.

I shot the wedding alongside FX1s.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Major Player

The Nokia N93 and N95 has an effective resolution of 640x480.
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
why?
because I could and I did.
right on.

really, really cool idea.

was the audio in the interview segments recorded to the phone as well?
Kris Flugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Kris. The audio was recorded separately using Senns.

Thanks for watching.
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Jason,

Thanks for backing me up. By reading what other respondants had to say, I was beginning to think my ideas were short sighted or over the top...it appears a few of my colleagues still have a few things to learn about creative expression, let alone being courteous and considerate.

It also proves that conceptual ideas presented to some members of this forum is only acceptable if the person who presents the idea is one of the recognized masters of the business.

That's pretty sad, when you stop to consider the purpose of this forum is to share ideas across all levels of experience.
I can take criticism, but ridicule?, that dog just won't hunt.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Trustee

I've been thinking of getting a Canon HV20 to catch cutaways and reaction shots while I am locked on the bride and groom with the main camera. I don't think a cell phone will have the quality I would demand but a small second camera may be a good idea if you are shooting alone.

I think the sarcastic critics were just being funny. Also, if you are angry that people aren't taking you seriously you might think twice about ending your retort with, "...that dog just won't hunt." People might think you are being facetious with your reply and continue their jests.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #14
Major Player

Tom, I distinctly recall your posting a wedding video clip with a cameraman shoving a camera in the guests faces, and after a negative comment, you thanked the person, and said that you are very unhappy with the partners ideas. you wanted all criticism, as well as positive comments, to try to change your cameraman. then you post an ad asking about making a video from the lowest quality source available. In my opinion, if a new person just getting an interest in videography used the only means available, and made a video, it would be awesome. Jason put together a nice video. it is, in my opinion, well represented. I am not sure why he didnt use a better camera, maybe he was curious as to the cel phones abilities. In my opinion, if your asking if you should show up at a wedding using a cel phone to take movies, you had better have the money in advance, I think you would have some very upset customers. If you want to sell this idea to your customers, go for it. I honestly thought you made the post as a joke. I could not imagine taking a paid position as a videographer, and capturing any of the footage on the lowest means available. if you want to be new, different, and innovative, as Jason was with his cel phone video, then just do it. You asked for opinions, and you got them. I am here to learn, and to help others whenever I can.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Allen

About 2 years ago, I used the video from the customer's cell phone that the Groom took when he proposed to the bride on a beach in Hawaii. It was part of a love story. I used After Effects to composite the clip on a tv screen that was in the background of a photo still. In the foreground was the bride when she was just a little girl. So you basically had live action on a still photo.

My original question was just testing the waters to get other creative artists to express thier ideas about the concept of using cell phone footage.

I should have framed the question a little better as to what would be some good reasons or ideas to use cell phone video.

Sorry

Last edited by Tom Sessions; February 14th, 2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques