wide angle lens in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #1
New Boot

wide angle lens in low light

Got a question about wide angle lens use. I recieved a sony wide angle lens that attaches to my hc-7 camera. Its a great lens. I was able to put it to use on a wedding recently. We used like cameras, Sony hc-3 and hc-7 HDV, however the camera that had the wide angle lens seemed to perform worse in the low lighted scenes. The other camera that was not using the wide angle did admirablly well in the low light.

So does the wide angle lens typically lower the video quality in low light scenes or do i maybe have a different problem.?
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Gay View Post
Got a question about wide angle lens use. I recieved a sony wide angle lens that attaches to my hc-7 camera. Its a great lens. I was able to put it to use on a wedding recently. We used like cameras, Sony hc-3 and hc-7 HDV, however the camera that had the wide angle lens seemed to perform worse in the low lighted scenes. The other camera that was not using the wide angle did admirablly well in the low light.

So does the wide angle lens typically lower the video quality in low light scenes or do i maybe have a different problem.?
There are generally two reasons for a wide angle to reduce image quality in low light:

1) The camera has a very sensitive AF function or special sensor that is blocked by the wide angle.

2) The wide angle causes just enough light loss to cause the camera to use a higher sensitivity (if set to an auto mode) and therefore increase the gain or other lowlight "enhancing" exposure features.
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

General rule of thumb: More glass = less light reaching the sensor. Somes lenses are worse than others in this respect.
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks

thanks for the response's.
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Major Player

couple of other things - the WA lens will show dirt/dust/lens flare more readily.

if you are using auto settings then the WA lens may tend to underexpose more often due to highlights at the edges of the frame.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques