Need to choose between two Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 26th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need to choose between two Mics

Im buying a mic for my z1 and cant decide which mic would be best suited for Weddings.
Its Between the Rode Videomic and the Rode NTG2,
Has anyone tried them both?? I know the videomic has a 3.5 minijack, but I can get a 3.5 to xlr adapter so that’s not a problem

The Videomic is a lot cheaper but needs a 9v battery to power it which is putting me off too, while the ntg2 runs off 48v

Any advice would be brill, and most importantly is there a big difference in the sound
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The Videomic is fine for consumer use but the NTG is without question the better of the two mics. The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are the same mic except that the -2 has an internal battery for power for use where phantom is not available while the -1 always requires a source of 48v phantom. Balanced output means it's less suseptible to noise pickup. You can move the -2 off the camera onto a boom more easily as mounts and wind protection are readily available in a range of price points. Interface the NTGs to a mixer will be a bit easier. All in all, go with the NTG unless budget is the overriding factor.
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Another vote here for the NTG2.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

ntg-2 fer shur...but the Videomic is a great solution for <$150, produces some nice audio..you can also rig it up on a boom, I wouldn't recommend any long cable runs though..

oh, wait, just realized you are shooting with a z1...has xlr's and a mic mount, correct? ntg-1/2 is a no brainer then...find them used for pretty cheap I bet
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Another vote for the rode ntg 1 or 2. Straight xlr into the Z1. Better than using a 3.5mm adapter. I have a rode ntg1 that will be going on ebay soon. I am having a clear out(too much stuff!!!!!!!)
Gary
Gary Mckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

bought a ntg1 yesterday! didnt think ied ever have a use for the battery on the ntg2, the mic will be on the cam the whole time using 48v, plus its a bit smaller too.

Gary i wish i checked back sooner and seen that you were selling your mic. i would have bought yours! damm!! but could you email me a list of any other stuff your selling, Cheers

Thank for everyones help too
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Niall just wondering where you got the mic and how much you paid? Im also based in ireland and looking for the same type of mic. Was going to go for the Senn ME64 K6P but their a bit expensive. What are you using it for?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis

I bought the mic from a music store in Germany called Thomann. .de for Germany. It worked out at 189euros. Not the cheapest place I could have got it. It was also on ebay but I had other stuff to get and after you spend 200euro there's no delivery charge know matter how much stuff you buy, or how big it is. Plus there very reliable and if you need to chat to someone they have great English and customer support. Worth the extra 20 quid or whatever

I do weddings by the way, need it to fit to my Sony Z1. Don’t know weather it will work for every scenario been a shotgun mic but im sure it will prove a great mic from what I hear to have on my gear list!

Niall
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Cheers Niall, might have a look at them. http://www.dv247.com/ is also a good place for audio gear...
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques