Zoom H2 shock mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Trustee

Zoom H2 shock mount

Filmed a wedding recently and shoved my H2 on a light stand about 3m up in the centre of the church to get audience singing recorded on it.

I forgot about people bumping the stand!!!! Grrrrhhh

So...thought I needed a shock mount for it and made one the other day. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom H2 shock mount-h2-shock-mount-1.jpg  
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Trustee

I love it! Looks like an old style toaster for browning bread over an open fire.

Have you tried it out yet, or made any tests? It actually looks like it would work well.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM   #3
New Boot

How else can the Zoom be used?

Can the Zoom H2 be used in the grooms shirt pocket to capture the vows? If not just by itself, are there any lapel mics that work with the H2? Thanks in advance.
Wendy Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Apparently others use the H2 with a mic such as the Giant Squid lapel mic ( http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/ ) on the groom. The H2 is a bit big for a shirt pocket but for pants pocket it's fine. GS's come in white also which is handy.

I use irivers 890's which are smaller than the H2 and do a great job. The wedding I did a couple of weeks ago I had an iriver and GS on the groom, the officiant, the brides father, grooms father, and lecturn, with an H2 in the middle of the church. Irivers can be locked off to stop accidental switch off.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM   #5
New Boot

More ?s on the Mic situation

I am audio disabled :) so forgive me for my dumb questions. The iRivers are MP3 players so I found googling, right? But if I used those, I also must purchase a line in lapel mic for each person I want to get good audio from? You mic'd quite a few people. Downloading the files from the MP3 should be quick and easy though. Thanks again!
Wendy Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Trustee

Your right Wendy. If you use Irivers as I do, or H2, or similar, you need a lapel mic for each unit. Giants Squids mics are only about $us25, and are pretty good. Irivers have been varying in price from $25 to $85 recently, so if you can get them at the low end figure, it's a pretty cheap way to mic someone.

Basically you have to know where all the contributions to the day are coming from and mic them (people or podiums) so you catch the contributions. With some of them you may only use a minute of audio from an hour recorded, but with a mic there you get that all import minute. Good video requires good audio.

And yes, it is as easy as to get the audio off the irivers. The 890's record about 3hours 40 minutes so you can set them going 20 or so minutes before the show rolls and forget them till it ends.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques