Second Tripod ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Second Tripod ?

I have a great Bogen Video tripod and head, but am looking for a second and really dont want to spend the $600 + again. This would only be used once in a while my wife doesn't do good hand holding for very long.

I am using 2 XH A1's and considering one of my camera tripods, just getting a video head, I know it wouldnt be ideal, but my bogen camera tripod is heavy duty and my Canon 1D Mk III DSLR with a 70-200 L 2.8 IS lens, (my typical set up) weighs more than my XH A1 so am sure it will hold.

Any sugestions on a second tripod and head, or just head?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Trustee

For what it's worth, I've got three Slik 504qf 2's which I find great. $us120

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...II_Tripod.html
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Denny,
I use the bogen 3063 head on 3021 sticks. I think it is important to have all of your quick relase plate smatch. That's my 2 cents.
Good luck.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, will probably just get a head to go on my bogen legs I have
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How about a monopod?

Does she do a lot of moving around?

This is what I do for the second camera.
Ken Gilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gilford View Post
Does she do a lot of moving around?

This is what I do for the second camera.
GREAT Idea, any sugestions on that.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Bogen automatic series - very handy design. Has a lower section that extends via twist-lock design, then a trigger grip for another 19" extension (the lower section drops down).

For lighter cams it makes a very effective "stabilizer" - with the leg in the "up" position, it still helps counterbalance while you move... probably not so much for larger cams, but should help keep steady shots.

With the trigger grip you can quickly (and most importantly SMOOTHLY) raise and lower the height, and makes moving about very easy compared to traditional pods with flip or twist locks. Retract the thing, walk to the next position, extend, repeat as needed! Done right, you should have a farily steady continuous shot, no "loafer close ups" or jerky shots!

Height is around 62" IIRC, and it's got a nice big rubber foot (no spike) you can set on a chair or something if you need more height. The cool thing is you can squeeze the trigger and stay pretty well locked on your shot as you raise or lower the extension.

The challenge with weddings is how flexible you have to be with your camera poistioning and mount, not sure there is anything perfect, but this monopod is a pretty decent and flexible option you might take a look at!

I've tried a few monopods along the way, still have a few that work for me, but the automatic is my fave at the moment.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Denny- I just picked up a Bogen Monopod 561-B. It has a fluid head and fluid cartridge in the base for smooth tilts and pans. I haven't done a gig with it yet but so far it feels great just playing around with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
Denny- I just picked up a Bogen Monopod 561-B. It has a fluid head and fluid cartridge in the base for smooth tilts and pans. I haven't done a gig with it yet but so far it feels great just playing around with it.

Thanks Art, I just received mine from B&H today, I went with a Gitzo Carbon Fiber monopod, and put my 501HDV Bogen head on it, and put a 503HDV head on my tripod.

This is the monopod I got, very light and strong.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques