what to do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

what to do?

I offer a small package that doesn't include preceremony coverage. So while I'm setting up I see the photog off snapping awesome preceremony pics of bride and groom. It makes me feel bad that I'm not shooting that stuff...but its not in the package they bought. What would you guys do? Just stick to what the bride and groom purchased...or go and shoot prestuff anyway?

Thanks
Jeremiah
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

One option discussed a while back is to shoot anyway - that's my feeling, you're there, shoot it, have it in the can, and let them know it's not part of the package, but they can "add/upgrade" it later. Oftentimes budgets are tight pre-wedding, and sometimes they will get cash gifts and WISH they had ordered a higher line package - if you've got the stuff in the can (on the tape), you can offer the "upgrade".

I've shot "on spec" when my wife was shooting stills, and I wanted to test some things out - let 'em buy the video later - not a recommended option, but it's worked for me.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have included the footage on several occasions, usually with the mindset that it will only help when it comes time for a referal.
Take this with a grain of salt because I am a very bad business person who can barely keep a video business afloat.
I just love to shoot!

Mark G
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Shoot it, you might need it, if things don't go right with your other shoot. As others say it is also good way to get positive feedback.
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Major Player

If you are already there and it will add value to your end product, get the shots.
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

well...i guess it's unanimous. Shoot more video.

So...really...should i just cut the package that doesn't offer preceremony? I only offer it to provide something for the lower budgeted wedding. But geez...if i'm going to be doing the same stuff on package one that I do on package 2...might as well cancel package 1.
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
well...i guess it's unanimous. Shoot more video.

So...really...should i just cut the package that doesn't offer preceremony? I only offer it to provide something for the lower budgeted wedding. But geez...if i'm going to be doing the same stuff on package one that I do on package 2...might as well cancel package 1.
Well here is our approach. Since we usually get to weddings at least 2 hours early, we try to get some prestuff. Now, if the client wants us to definately get it, then we would adjust our shoot time accordingly. Quite often, your video will look a little odd if it doesn't include any. All of this can and should be discussed at your client's consultation.

One word of caution though. There are those weddings when it may run late etc before starting. I've had a bride arrive to the church 15 minutes before the ceremony started, she was 45 minutes late to the church. So this is why agreeing to a shoot start time is important. I've also been locked out of a church for an hour as well. Hehe, that was fun.
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You're forgetting the EDIT time - just because you shoot stuff doesn't mean you have to use it - your higher price package reflects the additional editing time to include the pre-ceremony fully mixed and edited.

If you just shoot, you have the extra stuff to mix in, potentially making your job easier, but on the lower package, you aren't obligated to include any of it.

Shooting is the fast and easy part - it's the editing and mixing that the client really doesn't realize is there that they are paying for...

And you're probably better to have the "economy" package to get in the door - then upsell where it makes sense to the client, and be glad you've got the work when they just want the basics!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Many time pre-ceremony involves another location such as the bride's parents house, etc. I wouldn't go there unless they contracted me to but I aggree that some other shots at the church to throw in the montage is a great idea.

Steve
Steve Sobodos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques