Casual interviews...questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Trustee

Casual interviews...questions

I'm just at the tail end of editing a wedding I did in February and have been looking at video captured by the guy who the bride organised to man my third camera. He films for a TV station and had a camera of his own on a stabiliser which he used off his own bat, wandering around getting B roll stuff, some of which has been great to use. Included in his stuff were casual/impromptu interviews and/or videos without speech of various members of the wedding party and families taken after the wedding.

I have never done this but like the idea of it. However videos of people simply posing for the video camera are a waste of time - videos are not stills -and the questions he posed tended to be a bit inane or were not open ended inviting substantial/significant responces.

It would be far better to have a series of really good questions prepared in advance which draw people out with significant responces, all of which could be filmed.

I was wondering if any here already had such questions worked out - ones which really have worked with anyone who was asked them, and if so wondered if you could share them with us.

I've seen reference here to interviews of guests filmed at the reception...

Thanks.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

With older guests, ask if they have any words of wisdom or sage advice for the couple. Younger guests asking if there's anything they'd like to say to the couple for "later" when the DVD arrives. Family members (If you've had the chance to identify them already), ask if there are any funny stories about B or G that they would like to share.

SOME crowds, you'll get next to nothing, others will have you falling out of your chair laughing while editing! It's a bit of a roll of the dice, but always worth the gamble IMO. Helps the couple relive the whirlwind day with all the friends and family, although on rare occaision you may be asked to edit out that annoying family member they'd rather forget <wink>!

That's my experience, for the .04 inflation adjusted it's worth...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques