Is anyone using the Sony Z7 for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Is anyone using the Sony Z7 for weddings

Hi

Is anyone using the Sony Z7 for weddings and if so how are you finding the camera

regards

Robert
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

haven't yet, but I think I will soon. I have quite a few friends that are getting married this year, and won't mind bringing it out to test some footage.
Sean Hsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you're going for these new sony cameras for wedding work, pay particular attention to rolling shutter effects during photographer flashes. It's not a nice look...

If you haven't already seen these check it out:

http://blip.tv/file/703191?filename=...fTheWeb273.flv

http://www.freshdv.com/mjeppsen/vide...r_artifact.mov

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey James, good to see another Aussie here again ;)

In regard to the rolling shutter issue, this in itself is confounded by the long gop structure of HDV/XDCam.

This anomaly is actually even more pronounced with XDCam footage, as its variable bitrate. Check out the XDcam forum for a few posts about this.

For weddings, particularly when the cams locked down shooting vows (as an example), and then Mr Photog decides to go rapidfire, the codec itself is encoding rather low due to the lack of adjustment of contrast, but when the flashes begin to fire, the codec latency falls apart. This is with CCD chips mind you..

Couple the CMOS inherent issue with RS and its just a tad disturbing. Probably as disturbing as a Photog who needs to rapdfire every shot.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks for those links james just shows how crap the images looks when there are flashes going off the rolling shutter was my main concern i just dont understand why they never used global shutters

Rob.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thirston View Post
If you're going for these new sony cameras for wedding work, pay particular attention to rolling shutter effects during photographer flashes. It's not a nice look...

If you haven't already seen these check it out:

http://blip.tv/file/703191?filename=...fTheWeb273.flv

http://www.freshdv.com/mjeppsen/vide...r_artifact.mov

JT
I've actually had the cops show up at a wedding to serve the maid of honor with a warrant. hehe

In all seriousness, I've noticed this effecton my EX1. I'll have to deal with it..
Greg Patch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques