Wireless Reception light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Reception light

Has anyone had a chance to test these out...

http://www.receptionlight.com/index.html

Look like they would do the trick and could even find a small softbox if necessary. I was looking into the LitePanels but the cost was too much for my taste. These look to be more in my price range. Any thoughts....?
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I use something similar, but cobbled together. An Impact photo light stand with umbrella, a 750 watt quartz worklight with modified reflector, and an old (and sadly no longer available) Radio Shack wireless "plug-n-power" dimmer system. The first big difference is my system has to be plugged into a wall socket ... no battery power. The second big difference is my system is better utilized as a fill light rather than a key light. I still need an on camera light.

I've used my system for a couple of years and really like it because it fills in spaces that otherwise would be harsh shadow as well as sometimes actually serving as as a key light. I get better looking shots most of the time and the photographers working the event really love it as focusing is much easier for them.

A system utilizing the latest technology probably offer a bunch of improvements.

The big concern is safety. You must be able to insure this stand-alone light stand can not be walked into, tripped over, or knocked over. I almost always end up securing mine to a column, a tent pole, a stage, etc., so there is never a concern of customer injury.
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Waldemar - I was thinking of using a similar setup to yours with two rifa 44's. I don't mind having an on camera light but don't want it to be my only source of light.

Does anyone have any experience with the actual "reception light" brand?
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Stewart View Post
Waldemar - I was thinking of using a similar setup to yours with two rifa 44's. I don't mind having an on camera light but don't want it to be my only source of light.

Does anyone have any experience with the actual "reception light" brand?
I just mentioned this on another forum. And while the Rifa 44's do give off more light, they will also require more juice.

I know Mark Von Lanken mentioned a while ago that he had been using one of his Rifa 45's for the intros, important dances, and cake cutting. He mentioned placing it next to the DJ, elevated way up high angled down towards the dance floor, and turned it on or off with a remote.

He seemed happy with it.
You would have to use an outlet to plug into, as I believe only the Rifa 44's can take battery power.
Probably due to the fact that the 45's would need more juice to run longer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques