Wedding Photo Montage, Auto or Manual? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Photo Montage, Auto or Manual?

Hi Guys, let talk about wedding photo montage

I am working in a video production studio as a part-time editor, I mainly do Audio editing and wedding video editing. We offer wedding photo montage as one the our service in the mid-price and top-price package. I am just wondering, what do you guys use to produce wedding photo montage?

I use FCP to produce photo montage manually. I know which is time-consuming and have quite a few limitations. I am thinking to move up AE or Motion to produce montage with more tricks and effects.

This is a montage I produced some times ago,
http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=659E...843EF340157CF2

Lately, I been looking at some programs, like animoto, which can produce photo montage with few clicks and the result is impressive.

The main different the some of the animation ticks form those program is eye-catching and it will take long time to achieve that by FCP. However, those programs seems don't have much control over the music, photo arrangement and timing.

We had three package for customer. The mid-price and high-price package comes with photo montage. I am thinking to add the photo montage to the low-price package and use program to auto produce those montage.

So, what do you guys use to produce wedding photo montage? input into software and export it with few clicks? or use video program to produce manually? What program you use?
SiuChung Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Major Player

firstly, i just watched your montage, and i'd say you'd really benefit from 'easing in' your keyframes (i.e. this makes the movement across a photo glide, and seem more natural). i'm not sure in particular how FCP does this, but i'm sure you'd be able to do it.

it doesn't have to be timeconsuming. if i use my NLE (PPro), then i setup my default photo duration to be a particular number of seconds, then it's just a case of applying my pre-made presets (movement, flashes, dissolves).

or if i want to go fancy in 3D space, i'll use AE, and i've made a few of my own templates for specific number of photos. so then it's 'drag and drop' with the photos, and press 'render'.

hope that helps
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Try the FCP Motion Favorites

I don't think using FCP for photo montages is any more time consuming than the other apps out there. But then, I've been using it since version 2 (2001) and I'm now up to v.6, so it's not like I'm a newbie.

The trick is using FCP's Motion Favorites feature, which Richard refers to as "pre-made presets" for his NLE PPro. Over the years, I've created a Favorite for adding motion to a still in just about every direction, zoom & speed. So, once I drop the photos in the timeline, it's just a matter of applying the appropriate pre-made motions. Obviously, I still have to do additional customizing on a few, but, having a healthy stock of Motion Favs sure beats starting from scatch every time.

Looking at the montage you posted, I noticed you timed most of the photos to the music, which is great, and you also mostly did a good job of flowing each photo into the next one. What I didn't care for especially near the beginning and around the middle was after the motion stopped on several photos they remained on screen for about a second or so before the next photo came up. To me it felt like being in stop-and-go traffic. On the other hand, towards the end when the couple was by the trees I thought that part had a very smooth flow. Just my opinon, based on how I prefer to assemble these things.

I've been tempted to try some of the apps specifically made for creating slideshows, but just never got around to it. Stuck in the FCP rut, I guess.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak
I don't think using FCP for photo montages is any more time consuming than the other apps out there.
How long would it take you to add motion to 100 images? (Pans, zooms, rotations, etc...) I can have them randomly added in to all images in under 1 second in Vegas. Up it to 500 images and it will still be under 2 seconds.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
How long would it take you to add motion to 100 images? (Pans, zooms, rotations, etc...) I can have them randomly added in to all images in under 1 second in Vegas. Up it to 500 images and it will still be under 2 seconds.
This requires a plugin, Excalibur or Ultimate S.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Sounds like chaos to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Well, I really wouldn't know since I never "randomly" add any motion to a still. As far as I'm concerned, every photo is unique and the composition of each photo determines what, if any, motion should be applied to most effectively present that photo to the viewer.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Trustee

Ultimate S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak View Post
Well, I really wouldn't know since I never "randomly" add any motion to a still. As far as I'm concerned, every photo is unique and the composition of each photo determines what, if any, motion should be applied to most effectively present that photo to the viewer.
I tried Ultimate S out once (demo) and it was a BIG time saver... to a point. What it does do is randomize the movements to avoid the "spinning in circles" or "forever zooming" traps. What it does NOT do is care where the faces are and be sure to focus on them. So I used UltimateS to generate a nice mix of movements, and then I re-keyframed each and every shot to make the movements it choose (ie a zoom in) make more sense, and to focus on people, instead of zooming into the top right had corner which was empty. Some times I completely redid what Ultimate S did (changed a zoom to a slow pan, etc) because it made more sense my way. Sometimes I just changed where it zoomed to.

Still a lot of work, but much better. I have a sample of my Photo Memory Movie on my site (see Sig) but that one was all keyframed start to finish by hand with no Ultimate S.

I agree with previous posters that the movements is that sample were pretty jagged. It might be that I strive for NO sudden movements in mine, but again that may just be my style and not yours. I do believe that starting & stopping a motion while still playing the picture is a little jarring and it distracts the viewer from the picture and instead draws attention to the movement.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek View Post
This requires a plugin, Excalibur or Ultimate S.
Actually it requires a script. Excalibur and Ultimate S are two examples that perform this task but anyone can write their own versions as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Thx guy for the advise.

Seems like I did the time consuming way.However, I'm like the photo to match the music.
But I sure will look into preset a script and Favorite. Which would be a time-saving for me.

Go check out the demo at http://animoto.com/ the tricks in those montage is quite inpressive to me and it is hard to do that in FCP.
SiuChung Leung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques