changes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

changes

How does everyone deal with the bride requesting changes once they get their video? I don't want to encourage changes or give the idea that the video I send them is some sort of a rough draft. At the same time, if there is something they are not happy with I do want to be able to change it to their satisfaction.

Example - I just got an e-mail that said: "After we kiss, cut to the string quartet." Well, what they don't realize is that at that point in the ceremony both the roaming cams were changing position to get their next shot. I always use what I feel is the best shot I have. This is just one example.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this topic in general are appreciated.

I do like weddings, but boy... I sure am realizing that the money is easier on the corporate/educational side of the video world. :)

-Don B.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Trustee

I'd maybe bring her into the edit suite and have her sit in while you attempt the changes so she can see the issues for herself. Although it's no fun at all having someone watching over your shoulder while you edit, it would eliminate the need of possible further revisions. When she sees what you see, maybe then she can appreciate some of your editing choices.

I feel for you, I haven't run into this yet, but it's always a concern of mine. I hope never to be in your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bazley View Post
I do like weddings, but boy... I sure am realizing that the money is easier on the corporate/educational side of the video world.
I use to work in that world and I have to agree. But it's darn nice being your own boss.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Ethan. That's a good idea (though, as you said, I wouldn't appreciate having someone over my shoulder as I edit), but she is 4 hours away.

I do think I need to add some language on this issue in my contract.

Regarding being my own boss... I started my company with the intention of doing mostly weddings. Now, I'm leaning more toward doing more educational/corporate stuff and only doing 8-10 weddings per year (even less if I get enough non-wedding work). I've already made almost as much $$ this year with non-wedding jobs as I did last year (my first year in business) from weddings.

I guess I want to do more non-wedding work AND still be my own boss. :) Just as I was saying a year ago when I started this company... It's going to be an interesting year. :)

Thanks again for your reply.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
I do think I need to add some language on this issue in my contract
Yes - that will help you next time. But for this one you'll just have to go with your conscience.

Of course brides don't read the contract so cover this up front. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've run into this once. And I just fixed the issue and sent them a couple of disks with the change. They were fine with it.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I do think I need to add some language on this issue in my contract.
Yes, you do need to cover this in your contract. We allow basic changes, but state in the contract that artistic changes will be billed at a per hour editing rate. Then if a bride gets too demanding, we remind her of that. They have never once continued with changes if they have to pay.

But, small changes are fine and let your customer feel they are getting good service.

For your particular case, just tell her the footage doesn't allow you to do as she asks. Or suggest a different change that could make her happy.

In general, I find very few brides are unreasonable about changes.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
How does everyone deal with the bride requesting changes once they get their video? I don't want to encourage changes or give the idea that the video I send them is some sort of a rough draft. At the same time, if there is something they are not happy with I do want to be able to change it to their satisfaction.

Example - I just got an e-mail that said: "After we kiss, cut to the string quartet." Well, what they don't realize is that at that point in the ceremony both the roaming cams were changing position to get their next shot. I always use what AI feel is the best shot I have. This is just one example.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this topic in general are appreciated.

I do like weddings, but boy... I sure am realizing that the money is easier on the corporate/educational side of the video world. :)

-Don B.
We make changes and stipulate that thay have to be made within five days of delivery of the draft. Minor revisions are easy enough. But for major changes, I explain and remain firm on our editing decisions.

With your other point, me, i love weddings. When you get your flow and charge what you want, it's going to be so much profitable without hte hassle of bidding, reporting to upper management and interlocks.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Trustee

It's the charging what you want part I haven't figured out yet. Have the secret?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques