A Save the Date clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #1
New Boot

A Save the Date clip

Hi All,

After months of reading and learning from all of you, I've decided to post a Save the Date clip to share. I know I still have a lot to improve on.

http://www.vimeo.com/829274

Any comments and feedback would be great.

Thanks.
Ryan Sarmiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ryan,
I wasn't feeling it. I didn't feel that there was a story being told here. I just felt like I was watching two people hang out at the pier, there really wasn't a purpose. I did like the use of photos, I thought they were done well. Some good shots but more practice with handheld and they'll become much more fluid. I feel that the save the date videos should show a little about the couple yet always hinting at the upcoming date. You could use numbers, letters, quick flashes of either and all the while telling a story so we are being guided. Overall not bad for your first attempt.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for sharing Ryan.

As mentioned, the shots could be better composed. The editing needs to be tightened as some shots lingered far too long than they need to be.

I would suggest too that save the dates should be more "teaser-ish". A minute and half max.

Cheers!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Jason and Jason for your feedback.

I've done some editing before but this was actually the first time shooting the video. I probably could have used some interviews to help tell the story. The couple is actually having a destination wedding and the date at the end was more for an after-party for those who couldn't make it.

I definitely agree that I have to work on my handheld shots. Do you have any tips to make them more fluid like, or to better compose the shot?

I love the work that you do and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I watched the video before reading any of the responses, and my first thought was that too many of the shots were onscreen for too long. I also agree that you could probably reduce the overall video length by half. This would keep it more concise and also allow you to shorten the length of the shots you're using.

As for shooting, try to avoid walking with the couple because your shots will end up "bouncy" unless you use a stabilizer. Instead, have the couple walk towards you or away from you while you stay put. To help with steadiness, keep the camera up against your body as much as possible. I like placing the back of the camera against my hip or shoulder when I'm not using it with a support system.

Overall, though, the video was good enough that I'm sure the couple will like it.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Travis. I'll keep those tips in mind. I have my first wedding in two weeks so I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

The couple did enjoy the video.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #7
New Boot

I would have picked up the pace a bit with the editing and had the couple do more cutesy fun things - feed the sea gulls, interact with street performers, play arcade games, etc. They spend a lot of time just standing there looking off in the distance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques