Newbie Question - Filming on a cruise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 13th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Newbie Question - Filming on a cruise

Hello All,

Forgive me if this might be on another post but I can't seem to find it. My first actual wedding will be a destination wedding on a cruise. Here are a few questions from a newbie.

1. Has anyone ever filmed on a cruise, and if so, how did you keep it safe in your room or safe period?

2. What equipment do you recommend I bring? I'm working with a XH-A1 and a HV20 as a second.

3. How do you deal with different air temperatures (Condensation, etc.)?

Any tips and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Ryan
Ryan Sarmiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sarmiento View Post
Hello All,

Forgive me if this might be on another post but I can't seem to find it. My first actual wedding will be a destination wedding on a cruise. Here are a few questions from a newbie.

1. Has anyone ever filmed on a cruise, and if so, how did you keep it safe in your room or safe period?

2. What equipment do you recommend I bring? I'm working with a XH-A1 and a HV20 as a second.

3. How do you deal with different air temperatures (Condensation, etc.)?

Any tips and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Ryan
I filmed a wedding on a cruise and the first thing you should think about is whether you should film as a hired hand or as a guest. Is the actual ceremony on the cruise ship? The wedding we did was on Carnival Cruise Lines, and they don't allow couples to hire a non-ship photographer, and I think the same goes for video. Our couple had "discerning" tastes, however, and the on-ship photogs are not very artistic.

So, we posed as guests of the couple, meaning I had to shoot from a seated position without a tripod or anything. Not easy, and the lighting in the little ceremony room was not great either, but we did the best we could. Anyways, just keep in mind there mind be rules that will affect your shoot.

As for keeping the camera safe, each stateroom has a lockable safe, which fit my Canon GL2. I kept in safe in there.

I honestly didn't have any issues with air temperature differences. All preceremony, ceremony and reception activities were inside. After all this was done we went out and around on the ship to shoot some cool stuff, and after all of that we were done for the day so I didn't have to worry about coming back inside the ship and shooting.

As for other tips, I'll try and think of any I can. Obviously I recommend that you don't check your camera at the airport. I packed mine in a small backpack that I took on the plane with me. Didn't leave me any room for clothes really, so I had to just hope my luggage made it. But I'd rather that than having the airport guys rip off my camera or get it broken by them throwing my suitcase around. If you have a nice hardcase then maybe check it.

Oh, if you plan on shooting outside make sure you have a polarizer filter to deal with the sun and bright sky and water reflections.

If I think of anything else I post it.
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Travis.

The cruise is on Carnival but the actual wedding will be in Puerto Vallarta. I will only be shooting the bride and groom prep on the boat. I wasn't aware the cruise lines had restrictions on filming. That's good to know.

I do have a Pelican hard case that I will be carrying on the plane with me. The only filters that I have is a UV and a ND filter. Any recommendations on additional equipment aside from tapes, batteries, mic, and headphones?

Do you happen to have a sample of that cruise wedding you filmed?
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Travis.

The cruise is on Carnival but the actual wedding will be in Puerto Vallarta. I will only be shooting the bride and groom prep on the boat. I wasn't aware the cruise lines had restrictions on filming. That's good to know.

I do have a Pelican hard case that I will be carrying on the plane with me. The only filters that I have is a UV and a ND filter. Any recommendations on additional equipment aside from tapes, batteries, mic, and headphones?

Do you happen to have a sample of that cruise wedding you filmed?
Be careful if the couple is getting married at a resort as well. Many of them also have restrictions on bringing in an outside videographer or photographer. Make sure you have them check that out.

I really recommend getting a circular polarizing filter. If there was ever a place to use one it's in that type of climate with all of the bright sunlight and water reflections and so on. You'll get better contrast and saturation and kill highlight blowouts at the same time, allowing you to use a more open iris.

Don't forget a battery charger for your batteries, maybe a tripod if you can swing it (I didn't bring one), and don't forget lens cleaner and maybe a tape head cleaner.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the tip on the circular polarizing filter. I picked one up the other day and will be practicing with it over the next few days.

Did you bring an on-camera light?
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the circular polarizing filter. I picked one up the other day and will be practicing with it over the next few days.

Did you bring an on-camera light?
No, I did not. Anything I filmed inside (other than bridal prep) I had to be low key and not draw attention to myself to make sure there were no issues with Carnival.

Good luck with the filter and the shoot!
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM   #7
New Boot

other considerations to bring

you might want some sort of rain cover for your camera in case you get caught in the rain, or at least carry a portable umbrella, I like to travel with a manfrotto 561B monopod, it's just under 5lbs, easy to carry with a shoulder strap and may save your wrist. Also a camera strap is very handy if you don't already have one.

Mike
Mike Brand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques