What to put at the back cover of DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM   #1
Major Player

What to put at the back cover of DVD + Post your DVD Cover

The most difficult part for designing a wedding dvd cover is I don't know what to put at the back cover of DVD.

Of cause, I did put a pictuer there. After that, I have a think really hard. I put the basic like company logo, DVD dis logo, PAL, 4:3, runtime, and what's included....then I am out of idea.

What else can I put it there?
Attached Thumbnails
What to put at the back cover of DVD-dvd-slip-landy-jpg.jpg  

Last edited by SiuChung Leung; April 21st, 2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add more information
SiuChung Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Trustee

For what it is worth, here is the cover I did for my last wedding...
Attached Images

Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Major Player

I display 4 wide aspect screen shots from the video on the back DVD cover.

My DVD covers tend to be more graphic oriented, with only the bare minimum of text.

I don't have a picture of the back of the case but it looks similar to the front of the case albeit with more images..
Attached Images

Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Those covers look fantastic and colourful - with full colour coverage.

Have you ever costed out how much each one costs to print on say, an inkjet printer? or do you get them printed at your local printing company?

I'm always nervous of full page colour from an inkjet, as I have a (possibly unfounded) idea that it'll use up about 1/4 of a cartridge!

How much do you charge for a DVD in a box with a sleeve?
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
For what it is worth, here is the cover I did for my last wedding...
Hey Renton, do you have the printed by Kinkos or do you do it yourself? If so, what printer?
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just finished a 25 DVD project for the Bruce Museum in Connecticut. The cover I made for them had color (but it was mostly a blue/grey background) and I also printed the DVDs with the Epson R220 disc printer with the same color (blue grey) and I only used about 1/3-1/2 the ink in the cartridges. I cut them out myself and did the whole job in about a half a day. Hope that helps. If I did much more than the 25, it might be easier to have them printed somewhere else. But color prints are expensive.

HTH, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Coulson View Post
I'm always nervous of full page colour from an inkjet, as I have a (possibly unfounded) idea that it'll use up about 1/4 of a cartridge!
1/4 of a cartridge is a huge over-estimate. I did some tests a few years ago and found that 100% coverage with color ink ran about 15 to 25 cents per page in an HP inkjet.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Renton, do you have the printed by Kinkos or do you do it yourself? If so, what printer?
It's my own work printed out on a Canon Pixma ip4300. I've just nailed down doing the disks direct print also. In the past I've used paper stick ons.

I'm not in this filming wedding thing commercially, though I would like to get a bit of an income stream from it. The wedding this cover was done for was the first wedding I did for money - though for a couple of others (for friends and relatives) I've been given token donations. Done it more to get experience, a way to learn how to use my gear, and do the editing. I'm not doing any more for free. I've got enough experience now!

Have already supplied 6 sets of this wedding and have just had an order for another 10 - three to go to the US of A - one of the latter to a family who are professional film makers so that will be a test!! :-)

I haven't advertised and have no more weddings to do at the mo.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
It's my own work printed out on a Canon Pixma ip4300. I've just nailed down doing the disks direct print also. In the past I've used paper stick ons.

Thanks Renton, I'm just thinking about how to get a better insert print than my inkjet.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I've been doing my own cases since I started doing DVDs - about 5 years. Here's what I found. YMMV! First the ink is obviously important. I have tried all sorts of non OEM and have found for me, the best is the OEM ink.
Second, the paper. Very important stuff. I tried about 6 different kinds and found the Epson worked the best FOR ME. The paper is Premium Glossy, 8.5X11 and is 10.4mil thick.
Oh yeah, I still use a couple of Epson R200 printers.
It has the best look of any papers (and inks) I tried so I'll stick with it until either I or my printers die, then I guess I'll have to change. ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Pavli View Post
and I also printed the DVDs with the Epson R220 disc printer with the same color (blue grey) and I only used about 1/3-1/2 the ink in the cartridges.
I have the exact same printer, and I use a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) that I bought on ebay. Best thing I ever bought. I also use Taiyo Yuden Watershield Glossy DVD-R's to print on...they turn out absolutely beautiful.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
I display 4 wide aspect screen shots from the video on the back DVD cover.

My DVD covers tend to be more graphic oriented, with only the bare minimum of text.

I don't have a picture of the back of the case but it looks similar to the front of the case albeit with more images..
Your DVD case is very nice!
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Here's one of my clients
Attached Thumbnails
What to put at the back cover of DVD-tracydvdcase.jpg  
Attached Images

Old April 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM   #14
Major Player

here is one for the cover i did recently. I have no idea what to put at the back

http://i27.tinypic.com/21mypv5.jpg
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Inner Circle

You can move the text to the sky to fill the empty space there. Or you can add screen shots from the video, or the DVD menus.

I would hide the [4:3] box. The world is going to wide screen format :)

"Highlight" should be "Highlights"

Can you use a round bullet instead of a "dash" ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques