Is it too late in the season to try to break into the wedding video business? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Well Ethan im in your neck of the woods except i'm not a student and i'm trying to break into the wedding industry. Would it be too late for the Louisiana market and what are some suggestions that you would have? BTW I shoot with two hc3's and edit with pc premiere pro cs3 and mac fcs 2.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #17
Trustee

Shaun - I'm probably the last guy you want to get marketing tips from. No really, I suck at it.

We moved to South Louisiana from up around Monroe and Shreveport about 9 months ago and it's just a much different market down here. We still do 80% of our weddings up there.
For us business took off when we began to put some money into advertising. Funny how that works. Email me off list and I'll go into more detail. I don't want to derail this guy's thread.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #18
New Boot

Well this is all good help guys, sorry about the SD HD format thing, I will just clarify somehow to customers what exactly is happening inside the camera resolution wise and stuff. So I guess me and my friend are going to try to take this on. Once we get our HVX's offer to do a wedding for very cheap, so that we can gather good shots to demo. and he's an amazing flash web designer so we're good to go in that respect.
Doug Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Horton View Post
Well this is all good help guys, sorry about the SD HD format thing, I will just clarify somehow to customers what exactly is happening inside the camera resolution wise and stuff. So I guess me and my friend are going to try to take this on. Once we get our HVX's offer to do a wedding for very cheap, so that we can gather good shots to demo. and he's an amazing flash web designer so we're good to go in that respect.
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I started in May 2 years ago and decided to take it seriously... and 1 year later I had 21 weddings booked. We are in a similar market, I'd imagine, so it's completely do-able. I did 1 demo for next to nothing and from there built on. Just be honest with yourself and more importantly with your clients. They will value that! GL!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
If it is SD DVD, then the other thing I have a real problem with saying is that your product is HD, when you are not delivering a final HD product. This really gets my goat, when many advertise that they do HD.
For sure. There is a guy in my market that advertising HD wedding videos, but I know for a fact he creates his DVD's in iDVD ... which isn't even a professional DVD authoring program (no offense to any iDVD users). But it really aggravates me because the couples that book him don't know any of this.
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Horton View Post
yeah I guess I was under the same confusion as others in that, I thought the HVX recording to tape was the same as the A1 recording to tape. I dont own the HVX yet, I'm just looking for the right deal on DVXUser to purchase. But yeah, we're both full time students, so funds are very limited but wedding videography can be a very lucerative summer job, so that's why we're trying to jump in as quick as possible.
hey, doug - i started shooting weddings three years ago in may. i started advertising in the knot that same month - made sure i had a website, pricing, and a demo (although it was pretty 'slim')... and i booked 12 weddings that year for $995 up to $1800.

it's totally do-able.

fwiw, i am upgrading from my dvx cams to canon a1's so i can start shooting hd. i was turned off from the hvx because they're even crappier than the dvx in low light AND the cost to shoot hd is pretty ridiculous at this point.

best,
rk
Ryan Koral is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques