Upbeat Engagement Clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter,

Actually grading, alongside glidecam work and many other things, is something I want to really focus on and "master" within the next few months. I'm already spending a lot of hours exploring and trying.
I'll see how it goes and then another step would be to start adventure with Color.
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Hey Konrad...
Great stuff...I'm 3/4 of the way through reading "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction" by Steve Hullfish...

If you're going to get into Color, or any other color correction for that matter, then this is a MUST read.
Heck, PM me if you're interested..

It's good to see people in the area take things up a notch. You, Patrick, Glenn and Michael are inspirations...
I was wondering if that was a good book with practical knowledge in it. I was a bit worried it would be too much about color science and not enough about how to actually change the look of my footage. So you like it?
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #18
Major Player

It's your call, but i only hope you don't pick up any bad habits, or assumptions that comes along with self learning...

This book is actually software neutral, but he DOES seem to keep coming back to Apple's Color, since it's a very good measuring stick...

More importantly, he talks about Tonal ranges, and has a huge section on Secondary color correction...Too bad there isn't a DVD tutorial on the subject. It beats reading a book.

I kind of wish that i had gone the Mac route from the onset..When the Mac/PC commercial comes on, I run to a dark room and hide under the covers.

Good luck.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #19
Major Player

Hey Travis, I hope i don't get accused of hijacking the thread.

But yes, it's a book that talks to the common man, and stays away from science. There's a CD included that allows you to try out CC along with the book.

But regardless, it helps understanding basics ahead of time.
After reading half way through, i started from scratch, just to let it sink in, because i'm a total virgin to CC.
But now.......
I'm not afraid of the Color wheel anymore :)

But now that i understand tonal ranges, color, and secondaries, i tend to watch TV commercials and shows with a critical eye. This is a whole new perspective that i've missed until now, and can only NOW appreciate what colorists do.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks for the response, Peter. I'll have to check it out I guess. Okay, back on topic! d;-)
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #21
Major Player

PM'd you Peter, I definately am one for studying the formal theory of all things related to video; regardless if I'm already playing around with it or not.

Thread is back to you Konrad...
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #22
Major Player

Fantastic work there, congrats

Can you tell me which song that was?

Thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Great work Konrad,

I like your steadicam moves and the editing. Fits well with the song.

May be a little too much of steadicam shots like others said, but I understand how difficult it is to carry two set-ups (steadicam and tight shots) for this kind of shoot. But I can see your effort to balance out the shots in the clip.

Well done. Keep it up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques