Shortest notice for a wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shortest notice for a wedding

I was asked at 1pm today if I was available for a 3pm wedding, but there was no commitment to do it. I was given the go-ahead at 1:45.

I couldn't get a 2nd cameraman on this short notice, so I made do with my DVX100 as a fixed camera on a riser at the back of the church "sanctitorium" and was mobile with a DVC30.

I should have done it the other way around; the DVX100 image stabilization makes it the better choice for mobile, IMHO.

Do I win for shortest notice? For this month? For this week?
Bill Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Can I be a close second? I got a referral, and it was some weird company in another state that just hires freelancers to film these ultra cheap weddings. Low pay, one cam, mail 'em the tapes when done. It was about 1pm that I got the call, and the wedding was 4p or 4:30.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill, so did you do the wedding? I hate last minute contracts like that! I always forget something.

Josh, be careful it may be a scam for you to record the wedding, send the tape, don't get paid, and never hear from them again...
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yep, I did it. I had nothing better to do this afternoon. The sound guy even gave me a feed off the mixing board into my camera (this is a BIG church).

It helps that I'm only 1.5 miles from the church. It also helps that I've got an inside track: this is the church we attend and my wife is the wedding coordinator there. Is that cheating? ;-)
Bill Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes Bill that is definitely cheating! Your punishment is that you have to give me the money you received or will receive from this so called job! :) jk!

Good going though, we all need to remember to use all the resources at our disposal! I'm sure the wedding coordinator appreciated it as well, and all the points you can score there can't hurt!
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Wow, 2 hours notice?!? I definitely can't beat that one. Just make sure you guys get paid UP FRONT for these last minute jobs.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

It wasn't a scam. I did it, got paid, everything fine. Haven't done one for him since, though. There are several guys who do this (farming out weddings last minute).
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That's great Josh, glad it worked out for you. It just sounded a little fishy to me, I guess it's just my old age kickin' in and making me more cynical!
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

Of course it was fishy! I'm always paranoid with anything like this (first time clients who aren't well known production companies/organizations in town, including craigslist/Mandy stuff), but I've been very lucky thus far.
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #10
Inner Circle

For me the shortest notice was a phonecall I got on Wednesday for a wedding on Saturday, I took a risk because I made no contract which I normally have signed before the wedding, but here there was not enough time. Took in anyway and turned out alright. Don't know really if I'd do it again.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM   #11
New Boot

if you can get what you need on that short of notice I say go for it.
Molly Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #12
New Boot

And I thought a Tuesday call for a Saturday gig was tight! You win!
Todd Geer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques